In the recent years we have seen a sharp rise in complications between police and the African American community. According to a Huffington Post article“U.S. police killed at least 258 black people in 2016, according to a project by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America.” Many of these victims were unarmed and fatally shot by a police officer. The cities with the most deaths in 2016, according to The Guardian, are California with 161 deaths, Texas with 93 deaths, Florida with 73, Arizona with 50, and North Carolina with 36. Many of these deaths led to protests and riots within these cities.

One of the most iconic riots that was started by a police shooting was in Ferguson, Missouri when Michael Brown, an unarmed young black male was killed by a white police officer on August 9th, 2014. The riots were incited by the shooting and a grand jury declining to charge the officer with any charges. This led to a justice department conducting an investigation and finding a vast number of alleged racially biassed police forces. This was the first major police brutality case of an African American man since the Rodney King case.

There has been many more cases like the one in Ferguson, Missouri that has incited riots. There was a case in Charlotte, North Carolina where Keith Lamont Scott, a 43 year old unarmed black male was killed while police were in search of a suspect and mistakenly identified Keith as the suspect. Keith was shot by a police officer who told him to drop his weapon. Keith got back into his car and returned with his weapon still drawn, but his daughter and other witnesses of the shooting reported that he did not have a gun at the time of the shooting. This incited many violent riots throughout Charlotte.

After all of these riots began and the idea of a racially biased police force has come to the attention of the United States citizens a movement called #BlackLivesMatter came to the center of the stage. The movement was established in 2013 by Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi in response to the Trayvon Martin’s murderer. This movement was put in place to combat the system set up for the demise of the African American race. It allows for the affirmation to the black community that they are contributing to society in a positive way. This movement has brought many people together from a number of different races to combat against the corrupted officers within the United States.

I am not saying that every police officer is racially biased and target minorities, but the ones that are have caused a great separation within the community. We need to rid the officers that a racially biased. This will allow for the trust between to be restored between the two groups and we will be able to move forward as a community. Racism will never not be apart of our community but if we can come together as a community we can slowly quiet those who hold those racists ideas and make a more positive community.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Police Brutality Within the United States by Zachary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Wesley 9 months ago

Dear Zachary,

We agree with your thoughts stated on your article, “Police Brutality Within the United States”, because we don’t think that police officials should be able to put matters into their own hands. Police officials should be allowed to handle the situation without hurting anyone, especially if the officer is racially bias. They should just handle the situation by taking care of the criminal in a safe way. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “Police killed at least 258 black people in 2016”. I think this is important because it tells you that officers shouldn’t be hurting anyone, even if they are racially bias. Another sentence that interest me was “After all of these riots began and the idea of a racially biased police force has come to the attention of the United States citizens a movement called #BlackLivesMatter came to the center of the stage. This stood out to me because it tells you about how people have reacted to these situations. And it shows the origin of the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter. I do agree with you that we should really try hard to stop police officials that are racially bias because they should not be allowed to take matters into their own hands and injure others. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really agreed with your thoughts you stated in your article.

2. Khadim 10 months ago

After all of these riots began and the idea of a racially biased police force has to come the attention of the United States citizens a movement called. One of the most iconic riots that was started by a police shooting was in Ferguson, Missouri when Michael Brown, an unarmed young black male was killed.

3. Beth 10 months ago

Zach,
    This topic is something I care deeply about, and I thought you did a great job writing about it. Police brutality is a hot topic, and for good reason — “U.S. police killed at least 258 black people in 2016,” and the numbers keep climbing. Although many policemen do a great job keeping our communities safe, there is a clear group of racially biased police officers that are hurting the nation rather than fulfilling the helpful role they were hired for. I especially loved your concluding paragraph. This trend sickens me but it is something we need to keep bringing awareness to until “we can slowly quiet those who hold those racists ideas and make a more positive community.” I found a chilling article about white supremacists in law enforcement: https://www.theroot.com/is-racist-law-enforcement-hunting-black-people-1821393072 and I think it’d be very interesting and compelling to see you expand on this topic using that evidence. Nice job.