As soon as I would see a big crowd…

I would start shaking.

I am scared as hell.

My eyes would get as red as a tomato.

My voice…

Man my voice would break down like if I wanted to cry.

People always thought that I was crying but wondered why?

In reality…

I was just very scared of public speaking.

I did not know how to control myself.

I felt sick…

I felt like I was going to pass out.

I HATE BEING IN FRONT OF LARGE CROWDS!

PEOPLE INTIMIDATE ME!

I KNOW THAT PEOPLE CAN BE VERY JUDGEMENTAL!

I prefer to hide.

I prefer to isolate myself.

I don’t want people to make fun of me… because that hurts.

Now….

I mentally prepare myself.

Now…

I take a deep breath.

Now…

I don’t care what people think of me.

Now…

I don’t let my public speaking fear get the best of me.

Now…

People won’t ask themselves “Why is She Scared As Hell”?

CC BY-SA 4.0 “Why I’m Scared As Hell” by Angeles is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anna 7 months ago

Angeles,
    Thank you for sharing this poem. I can relate to the fear that public speaking causes. You captured the feeling of fear in this poem through your words, which is no easy feat. I liked your repetition if words throughout the poem such as ” I prefer” and “Now I”. I especially liked your poem because its up lifting. You overcame this fear, and thats a powerful message.

2. Anna 7 months ago

Angeles, this is a really good poem. I read it aloud and the cadence and emotion of it came naturally. The repetition of “Now…” at the end was really powerful.

3. Yaqui 7 months ago

This is a very powerful poem. I’m glad you got over your fears and were able to continue doing what you love. You can tell how much you have grown when reading your poem. Keep doing what you are doing never stop.