I’ve throw away food

While others go to bed on an empty stomach

I take 30 minute showers

While others don’t have fresh water

I complain when I don’t have the latest smartphone

While others do not even have electricity

Yes, I live in poverty

Yes, I am a Mexican Immigrant

But there are always people who have it worse than me

So yes, I’ll admit it

I have an easy life

So no more complaining about what I don’t have

It’s time to appreciate what I do have

It’s time to utilize what I do have

With my knowledge

My will to succeed

With those that love me

That’s all I need

I will make those that helped me proud

I will make myself proud

That is why I am fortunate as hell

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why I’m Fortunate as Hell by David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Gaby 5 months ago

Dear, David I really like your poem “Why I’m Fortunate as Hell” because I know I can relate to it of course for example me getting a new phone I’m gonna brag about it and I think it’s really inspiring because it shows people you can do these things but real life people around the world can’t because they probably can’t afford things and sometimes I think people around should deserve to have a new phone and freshwater but so far I really like your poem great job!

2. Saul 5 months ago

Dear David,

I can somewhat relate to your poem. Your poem is very creative and it really shows who you really are a person. That one person who appreciates even the little that you have. That is a characteristic a lot of people don’t have and that you should be proud of having. Having this skill will make a better person and you will be able to create new friendships in which you will be grateful to have in the future. A few line that stood out to me were the following… ” Yes, I live in poverty. Yes, I am a Mexican Immigrant. But there are always people who have it worse than me.” This line really stood out to me because you are acknowledging that people have it worst so maybe that’s a reason why I never hear you complaining about things you like or not like. This really does shows a powerful mind that you have. Keep this mentally up and you will get far in the future.

3. Angeles 5 months ago

I like your memoir a lot. It made me reflect on how much I complain and that I shouldn’t be complaining at all. This was so inspiring and definitely got me to think. This poem can help people change because some of us are more fortunate than others and we need to know how to be thankful for what we have.

4. Cristina 5 months ago

Dear David,
    Your poem was very relatable in a way. Though we’re very different. When you mentioned that you had to be fortunate because you were an immigrant it really hit me because my parents are immigrants too. And you mentioned that you have to be fortunate because though you may not have everything, and maybe you’re not rich, you have more unlike others who are really struggling. So you choose to be fortunate, because the things you have would be a blessing to others. I really enjoyed your poem and I look forward to reading more of your writing soon. :))))))))))))