Why I’m exhausted as hell …

Cystic Fibrosis.

It takes the part of my life.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm.

Nothing unusual for a teen.

But the difference is that they wake up 1 hour before school starts.

I wake up 3-4 hours before school starts.

Yeah

That is true but that is the only beginning…

The phone rings in the classroom.  It’s the clinic.  

I walk over there knowing what to do.

Eat lunch.

Start treatment, then go to back to class

Knowing that I didn’t get to socialize or rest.

The sound of vibration annoying my thoughts.

The air pushing out of the machine bothering my brain.

The pressure of the vest squeezing me like an anaconda

And the shaking of the vest makes me feel like an earthquake.

This is my life: a very noisy one

Why am I exhausted as hell?

There is no time for sleep.

No time to do homework.

No time to enjoy life.

Nothing.

Just the sounds that fill my ears.

The next day the same old routine.

This is why I’m exhausted as hell.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why I’m Exhausted as Hell by Yadira is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Leslie 5 months ago

Dear Yadira,
    I like how you have written a poem of your life. Giving people a chance to learn more about who you are and explaining your life how its going and the routine you always have to do for example what did it meant when you would always go to the clinic. I enjoyed reading your poem, it was so good. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

2. Matsui 5 months ago

Thank you for sharing your story, Yadira! I’m impressed with your courage both living and to write this poem. I’ve learned so much from hearing you talk about your Senior Defense and this poem. I’m looking forward to learning more.

3. Eva 5 months ago

Yadira — I’m so proud of you for writing this poem. You are giving people an opportunity to see into your life and empathize with you. That’s BRAVE and inspiring. Thank you for sharing, and for being you – even when you’re exhausted.

4. Aida 5 months ago

Dear Yadira,
    The first thing that comes to my mind is Wow! I really liked how you started off your introduction. I could visualize what you go through. the ending was also very good. I can’t wait to read more posts by you

5. Jennifer 5 months ago

Dear Yadira,

While reading your poem, the flashbacks of all the times I have seen you go to the health clinic came back. I remember when the phone would ring and the whole class knew that it most likely was for you to leave class but the thing that most likely no one knew was why you were leaving. Why you had to leave class everyday for the appointments. I think more people should know about this. It really stood out me. I like how you decided to write about a characteristic more about yourself than about one that you share with other people. Great Job!