Why I’m Caring As Hell

By Yaqui

Growing up I thought no one would notice if I disappeared

I thought no one would care

I felt like I could run off and no one would see

I never had a normal childhood

I had to grow up fast

7 years old and already having thoughts of disappearing from the world

No one could understand

No could see

No one could understand my pain

Nobody cared to ask

I grew up

I learned

I found the strength in me to pick myself up

To care for myself

Because no one else did

I was my own best friend

I had to be

And maybe people in my life did care

But I needed someone to show it

To show me they cared

And not just say it

Since I never had a nurturer growing up

I became one

I cared so deeply for those around me

I made sure I didn’t just say

I made sure I showed them that I cared

I was there whenever they needed a shoulder to cry on

I was there to listen

I was there to talk

I was there to give advice

I became a protector

I was they’re shield

That’s why I’m so caring

Because I never had someone like me growing up

I made it my mission to care

For everyone

And everything

And maybe it’s a bad thing to care so deeply

I find myself getting hurt sometimes

But I learned to deal with that pain

I learned to cope

The hurting might never stop

But it will never stop me from caring

Caring is what makes me…me

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why I’m Caring As Hell by Yaqui is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 2 months ago

Dear Yaqui,
    This poem so so much reflection and though you have put into yourself as a person. It shows how you have grown into the amazing person you are today. I know you don’t show it often, but you definitely are a caring and protective person to me. You are a strong woman, and you always bring laughter into my mornings :). Thank yo for showing me another side to you, and I hope you continue to do so. Thanks for being their for me. I’ll always be there for you too!

2. Erica 2 months ago

Yaqui,
    I really enjoyed reading your poem. I was interested when you started to talk about how you make others feel cared for. I think this is very important in today’s world. I was inspired when you said ” I was there to listen

I was there to talk

I was there to give advice

I became a protector

I was they’re shield”

I think everyone should have someone like this to care for them. I look forward to reading your next post.

3. Rosario 2 months ago

Dear Yaqui, I am impressed by your poem I think it speaks a lot of how open you are about sharing your life story and how that has shaped you to be the person you are today. I hope you keep writing to inspire people to open up as well or make them see that things can be okay. Thank you for being the caring person you are we need many people like you!

4. Angie 2 months ago

Dear Yaqui,
    Your poem is so good, you are such a strong person for writing about this. Explaining how much you care speaks a lot about the type of person you are and you are not afraid to bring it up. I appreciate you as a person for speaking on this, because you are a caring person.

5. Stephanie 2 months ago

Yaqui,
    I love your poem I find it so moving because I know you are caring. I also really appreciate you, not only because I know you care for me but for writing this piece so good. I think its strong becaue it really shows who you are and what makes you Yaqui.

6. Luis 2 months ago

Dear Yaqui, I like how you put in a lot of thought into this poem and how you write with so much detail so the reader can visualize what you’re talking about. Good job!