Advancements in technology have the capability to bring great development to the mind, but there are constant distractions that prevent us from attaining this mental growth. Technology clearly has a large impact on society in today’s world, but do the benefits of technology outweigh the negatives that it brings?

The connection between humanity and technology cannot be seperate. It has come to a point that society is somewhat co-dependent upon technology. We use digital technology for communication, learning, business, as well as just leisure time. This is a great thing to be constantly advancing, but the application of technology in lives has become a crutch and impacts society quite greatly. The constant use of technology can affect a child’s ability to have empathy for others. There is a study that shows how technology is diminishing children’s abilities to pick up on nonverbal cues of photographs as well as having a hard time acknowledging others emotions. The more technology kids are exposed to, we are essentially harming their ability to socialize in the real world even if they are socializing through technology. This can be solved by blocking sites, but there are always ways to get around it. It is extremely hard to truly monitor what children are doing on technology because there are so many loopholes in technology. If children are already having similar struggles than shouldn’t we try to reduce this use of technology in an environment of education?

Technology is an amazing tool for those who can access it. However, low-income households do not have the luxury of being able to afford these tools for their children which causes an education gap between the rich and poor. Economically disadvantaged children lack digital resources and it makes it difficult for these children to have the same tools that other kids are able to use to enhance their knowledge. Low-income children lack consistent access to high quality technology when compared to even the middle-class children. Households where money is a significant problem often leave children having to rely on public resources such as libraries, or staying after school to be able to use the technology. These resources are not 100% viable because they cannot access these tools wherever they want opposed to people who have computers and internet access at their homes. This can be described as the digital divide.

Stanford defines digital divide is the “growing gap between the underpriveleged members of society, especially the poor, rural, elderly, and handicapped portion of the population who do not have access to computers or the internet; and the wealthy, middle-class, and young Americans living in urban and suburban areas who have access”. This is basically stating that there are those who are privileged enough to be able to have constant access to internet and growing technology while there is increasingly more people who aren’t able to have the luxury of technology in their homes. This can be especially seen with the increasing levels of education. Households that have higher levels of education are more often seen with computers and availability of access to the internet. There was a study conducted by the NTIA that showed the gap in computer usage from the years 1997-1998 and it had widened by 7.8% for those with the most education, and 25% for those who have the least education. The digital divide is constantly growing and keeping the world increasingly disconnected between social classes, ethnicities, ages, etc. This creates a major disadvantage to kids who aren’t able to access the internet. Technology in classrooms has created the unintended consequence of setting children behind in education because they weren’t fortunate enough to have internet access in their households.

Here is my Hypothesis link.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Technology Negatively Impacts Education by Treyvon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.