I do stress,

I might overthink things,

Maybe I’m anxious about something,

I can be mad or sad,

but the outside of me always looks calm.

There might be a lot of work that is due,

Or papers that are due.

I don’t freak out.

I might procrastinate,

But I still get the work done.

I try

At least,

I want to make it seem that way.

I’m not loud,

or an extrovert.

Growing up,

people change.

I saw them,

being different to fit in,

and I’ve only thought about myself.

Can’t show I’m stressed.

Who would care?

I keep things to myself,

that is how I am,

I like it that way.

I’m not scared of showing who I am,

It just wouldn’t make a difference.

That is why I like to stay;

Calm.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why I’m Calm As Hell by Salvador is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Xin 2 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    I really enjoyed your poem. It really shows how you are as a person and the way you show your poem also yourself . It really sad the way people change sometimes for the worse and the way you change people it’s cool to see that you seemed to handle situations really well. Being calm is something that you can highly benefit from as life continues because you can handle difficult situations and that can be useful. I were like to see your next post on youth voice and thank you for writing or poem.

2. Vesna 2 months ago

Dear Chava,

Your poem was really well written and demonstrated a characteristic about you that always seemed to be present. Knowing that you were a part of stats and bioethics the line, “There might be a lot of work that is due,
    Or papers that are due. I don’t freak out. I might procrastinate, But I still get the work done” I know exactly what you mean. I think this is where your characteristic is displayed most as you also state, “It just wouldn’t make a difference.That is why I like to stay;Calm.” School work can get very stressful sometimes with all the essays, finals, and deadlines you have to meet. However, you understand that stressing and letting your feelings get the best of you at times won’t do you any good, so you remain calm (or at least appear to be) in order to focus on the task at hand. This poem was beautiful and relatable on so many different levels.

Thank you for writing this piece and I am looking forward to seeing more pieces from you in the future.

SIncerely,
    Vesna

3. Kris 2 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    I really enjoyed your poem. It really shows how you are as a person. It really sad the way people change sometimes for the worse and its cool to see that you seemed to handle situations really well. Being calm is something that you can highly benefit from as life continues because you can handle difficult situations and that can be useful.

4. Marlon 2 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    I relate to your poem In many ways. I feel the same things sometimes. I’m astonished at how you are able to keep calm and “wear a mask” to me this is something important because many people assume things that aren’t true. And I also feel that people do change just to try to fit in and they end up losing theirselves. Keep up the good work.

5. Elliot 2 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    I enjoyed reading your memoir. I especially enjoyed reading about your experience with people changing to fit in. I look forward to reading any of your future writing.

6. Enrique 2 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    I am really surprised on how you showed us how you are as a person about your poem “Why I’m Calm As Hell” because knowing that you keep things to yourself you wanted to share how you felt. One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is: “Can’t show I’m stressed. Who would care? I keep things to myself, that is how I am, I like it that way.” I think this is very powerful to me because not many people keep it to themselves on how they feel, they talk it out. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because the piece of writing really made me and others know on how and why you are the way you are as a person.