I am thy dirt

Where flowers grow tall,

I am thy soil

My ancestors once walked on,

Mi piel morena,

No solo mi tez

Hay un poco mas significado

Que la importancia de mi identificación,

I walk around as a damn minority

Never been no fucking priority

Surrounded by a society that doesn’t see ME,

instead they see my brown skin and judge me

I’m confused as hell

Sitting in 48 degrees,

Thinking and thinking but,

Thankfully my color hasn’t left me

The amount of pride I hold for my color,

No demon could ever recover

Brown skin, brown eyes

The tranquil vibe you bring to me,

So thankful that I realized you are the beauty,

The beauty in me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 WHY I”M BROWN AS HELL by Cristina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Vesna 2 months ago

Dear Cristina,

This poem was so beautifully written in that the style of rhetoric and the way you structured it allows for an engaging story between you and the reader. Besides the writing, the concept of the poem is powerful and shows pride of the deep roots in your ancestry. You mention feeling confused and that, “Surrounded by a society that doesn’t see ME.” This quote is very relatable in that many people of color feel as if they don’t belong in a society where our skin color is not to be accepted. Thus feeling confused and that our skin color alone is a burden to bear. However you flip the script by saying, “The amount of pride I hold for my color, No demon could ever recover.” Instead of seeing our skin color as a curse, we can only stand strong if we learn to cherish and embrace not only our skin color but our culture. And it was a cool play on words with the skin being a curse and mentioning the demons (maybe I’m just weird for seeing that). This poem was a gem and I enjoyed reading every line.

Thank you for writing this and sharing it with everybody and I look forward to reading more of your work!!

Vesna

2. Nina 2 months ago

Oh Cristina, Cristina,
    How I LOVE your writing pieces. They are beautiful, amazing, and I can totally relate. You are such and strong and intelligent person, and I notice that you put real thought into the words you put down for the world to see. You say, “Surrounded by a society that doesn’t see ME, instead they see my brown skin and judge me,” and it just made me speechless. I know that in a time we live in, so many people are fighting to be seen and for some recognition and respect from the rest of there world. I truly think your work should be out everywhere for people to see. I can’t wait to see what words you have next to inspire me with!

3. Jose 2 months ago

Dear Cristina
    Your poem left me speechless it was beautiful. One line that stood out to me was, ¨So thankful that I realized you are the beauty, The beauty in me.¨ Its amazing that you feel this way about yourself because not many people feel good about their skin color. You did a great job with this poem.

4. Xochitl 2 months ago

Dear Cristina,
    Your poem gave me chills I love it. I really like how you mentioned the importance of having Brown Skin. I agree with you on how society views us as a minority. good job keep up the good work.

5. Angeles 2 months ago

Damn Gaby! You killed this! I loved how you talk about people with brown complexions. I felt very identified and defended by you. I love this, it’s so dope.

6. Lisseth 2 months ago

Dear Cristina,
    I really enjoyed reading your poem. I really like how you mentioned about our ancestors and how you are really proud of your brown skin. I agree with you on how society views us as just people with brown skin and not actually us as humans. Good job and keep on writing.