Although it might seem like paying college athletes would be easy for universities, since they bring in so much revenue, paying every single Division 1 athlete would be no small task. Business Insider estimates that it would cost $200 million dollars to pay college athletes. This is of course to pay all Division 1 athletes. This segways into a bigger picture problem with paying college athletes. Who gets paid and how much does each player get paid? Under the law Title IX, schools receiving federal aid must provide equal opportunities to men and women. This is the topic of many debates as the star basketball player at a big university and a player for the softball team would be paid very different amounts due to the amount of revenue and eyes they bring to the university. This becomes a problem for many universities because only a small percentage of Division 1 schools are turning a profit from their athletic programs. In fact, Forbes reported in 2011 that the NCAA released data showing that only 14 programs are turning a profit without having to rely on institutional support. This becomes a huge problem for many universities as they simply won’t be able to pay all of their athletes. This imbalance in revenue would also become a major recruiting issue among universities. Bigger universities could recruit athletes by offering them money that the other universities couldn’t offer.

With so many obstacles in the way of paying college athletes, it seems like there is no logical way of paying all Division 1 athletes. While this may true, there have been many possible solutions to this problem. The Federal Work Study Program. Under this, the universities would have to re-classify the athletes as employees at the school. This would mean that playing a sport at the university would be considered a job. This program has been in place for years and allows students to make a maximum of $7,000 per year. If all Division 1 athletes were to receive the maximum salary, this would cost the Federal Work Study Program $1.17 billion each year, with much of this money coming from the federal government. Since many universities aren’t even making a profit, this would be way too much money to pay per year. But if the salary per player was lowered to the current average amount students are making, $1524, this would mean the Federal Work Study Program would only have to pay $255 million each year, with the schools paying $63.6 million. This suggestion is one of the few that would be financially possible, but it also offers another new issue. As stated previously, under the Federal Work Study Program, playing sports would become the athletes job while in college. This may cause problems within the NCAA because playing a sport currently isn’t and shouldn’t be considered a job until the athlete is a professional.

As you can see, paying college athletes has many different obstacles to overcome, many of which don’t have easy solutions. Over the next few years, there will be more and more suggestions that will be thrown out that may solve one problem, but may leave another unattended or create a new problem. This will most likely become a recurring theme in the debate of whether or not to pay college athletes. In its current state, there doesn’t seem to be a solution to this problem. Therefore, college athletes won’t be seeing that pay check for their play anytime soon.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should College Athletes Be Paid? (Part 2) by Alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kyler, Brianna, Alexa 3 months ago

Dear Nick

After reading your post, our group agrees with your post about college athletes to be paid. Throughout your post you had many solid claims. My group strongly likes how you use many different facts and details. For example, when you say “ 2.9 billion dollars are given away to 150,000 NCAA college athletes”, It really gives you an idea of why they shouldn’t be paid. Our group think that Athletes shouldn’t have different rights than everybody else. If college athletes get paid, then why don’t other college students get paid? Our group thinks that it is unfair to other college students and to other people in their position if they aren’t getting paid and only people in sports are. Like if you aren’t in sports and you don’t get paid but because of the fact that other people are in sports they get paid, it isn’t fair or logical. In the article it says,”If college athletes were paid, It would shift this level of play to be more focused about money, and getting an education and becoming better” this is trying to say that they could just get money and not worry about anything and they think that they don’t have to work as hard as everyone else. All and all our group decided that college athletes shouldn’t get paid because its not good for education purposes and its not fair to people who aren’t in sports or who aren’t athletes. It not only causes conflict but it isn’t fair to all, and it should be fair. This is why our group thinks that college athletes should not be paid.

From,
    Kyler, Brianna, Alexa

2. Jordan and Christan 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading your post, out group agrees with you that college athletes should not get paid. You made a great point when you said “it takes the focus away from class work, and pushes these athletes to only focus on their athletic careers.” It was important to note, that they wouldn’t be responsible with the money this is shown by, “78 percent of professional athletes will go broke within two years of retirement (Harnett). Who is to say that it won’t be the same case for college athletes.” With this fact is in mind, all thought they won’t have much time to get a job because of all the practices, they will blow the money on not very important things. According to the article, “2.9 billion dollars are given a way to 150,000 NCAA college athletes “ showing that they already give a lot of money for those students to be there, and the college gives each player scholarship tuitions.”If colleges were to pay their athletes, there would not be as much money to go around for any of the other things like the facilities or the coaches.” states Maurice Jones. Also many students who earn money would probably not want to go to class and do their work because they are already earning money playing basketball. “seems completely unreasonable and near impossible to pay every student athlete, considering that there are a total of 20 sports combined between men and women in Division I.” showing that the colleges don’t have enough money to pay everyone in every sport. Therefore, I agree that college athletes should not be paid because the student will not be smart with the money, the college already gave the student a free tuition, they wouldn’t want to go to class, and it would be really expensive for the colleges.

jones, maurice reed. “Why College Athletes Should Not Be Paid.” The Odyssey Online, 7 Mar. 2018, http://www.theodysseyonline.com/college-athletes-should-not-be-paid.
    Nick. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athletes-be-paid-2/.

3. Andrea Schooler and Katelyn Icke 3 months ago

Dear Nick,
    After reading “Should College Athletes be Paid”, our group decided that college athletes should not get paid. Here is why: it costs too much to pay college athletes. $200 million dollars would be spent towards these athletes to play sports. It also may be a problem that some athletes get paid different amounts because of the different sports or how big their college is. Also paying college athletes may cause a cut somewhere else. Some schools might not even have enough money either. By athletes getting paid to do sports it will most likely distract them from there work. For example, as the star basketball player at a big university and a player for the softball team would be paid very different amounts due to the amount of income and eyes they bring to the university. This creates a problem for universities because only small fraction of Division 1 schools make a profit off their athletic program. Lastly, playing a sport is a privilege. If you want to play a sport then you shouldn’t be there for the money but there because you want to play the sport. When reading top 10 reasons why college students shouldn’t get paid from listland.com, they agreed that you should play a sport because you want to, not to get paid. You could argue that colleges athletes should be paid their athletes because they spend more time practicing the most people spend in a week. Being a college athlete is like having a fulltime job. Athletes aren’t able to make money because they spend so much time practicing and having class work and they don’t have enough time. But this claim is weak because athletes are saving money by not having to pay for school because the receive scholarships. And most colleges have sponsorships that pay for there sports.
    Sources
    Alex. “Should College Athletes Be Paid? (Part 2).” Youth Voices, Youth Voices, 20 Feb. 2018, http://www.youthvoices.live/2018/02/20/should-college-athletes-be-paid-part-2/.
    Andrea Schooler and Katelyn Icke

4. Justin and Quinten 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading your article we decided that we agree with your argument about how college athletes should not be paid. You said “however, I believe, college athletes should not be paid for playing their sport because they have already been compensated for their work with tuition scholarships.”

“With the vast majority of athletes already receiving scholarships to add a salary to these players will be too much.” This shows that athletes don’t need more money than they already get enough. If they get more money they might not be responsible with it. “Being paid to participate in an extracurricular takes the focus away from class.” This shows that students need to focus on learning, not sports. “They would be making so much in so little time and they’re would be no one to help them through the process.” Most college athletes aren’t responsible with money so giving them a lot of it would be bad. People may say that college athletes still have to pay for everyday things and therefore they should be paid, but they have jobs to get money and in some instances college athletes get free dining plans.

In conclusion, we agree with the author’s claim that college athletes should not be paid to play sports.

Justin and Quinten

5. Shane 5 months ago

Alex,
    While I do not know much about sports, your article intrigues me. I would agree that they wont be seeing a paycheck anytime soon because of the argument of paying that many. I do believe that one day depending on where they attend and their skill that they will get paid. I do not know how much but I think they will. If you could choose how much would you pay a D1 athlete at a nice school?
    Helpful Link: https://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/athletics/blog/should-college-student-athletes-be-paid-both-sides-debate/