Technology is extremely prominent in today’s world. There are always new things being made and new advancements being made to cell phones, computers, even robotic technology. Technology is becoming so accepted in today’s society that it is even being incorporated into classrooms, but how is technology affecting technology in education?

There is an article that is dedicated to pointing out the good in having technology incorporated into the classroom as well as the flaws that technology brings to classrooms. The good things that technology can bring to classroom is incredible. Having personal computing in classrooms allows for kids to engage with learning in a variety of ways that are very distinct from what previous generations were exposed to. There are a lot of resources available to students, but it is very dependent upon whether the students know how to use these sources correctly to be efficient in school. The availability of resources is a viable reason to have technology in the classroom, but if students do not know how to correctly cite sources or give credit to the sites they use then it can be hindering towards their learning. The technology must also be applied thoughtfully to minimize the potential distractions for students.

A problem with having technology/requiring technology, such as laptops, in classrooms is that not everyone will have equal access to internet or materials required. This is extending the education gap between the rich and the poor by giving those who have access to more advanced technology a better chance of getting ahead, in regards of education. This creates an unintentional consequence to technology. The rich are getting more opportunities to thrive which widens the learning gap between classes.
The use of technology in the classroom is dependent upon schooling districts, as well as the teachers and whether or not they would like to incorporate technology into their curriculum. The other problem is whether or not the schools have a sufficient budget to support the incorporation of this technology, and if they do have a sufficient budget it is not promised that every class will receive the advancements. The article says that education professionals talk about how the use of technology in the classroom will increase the amount of information retained, but students are more likely to pay attention in participatory learning opposed to passive learning. The IDP defines participatory learning as engaging the whole class and showing visual or auditory techniques to facilitate collective analysis. Passive learning can be described as a method of learning where students receive information from an instructor and are intended to internalize it with no acknowledgement from professors.

There are difficulties in trying to accept the move of technology in technologies and it is a common topic because it directly affects our future generations. Technology can be looked at in the light of advancing knowledge as well as ruining people’s’ ability to understanding concepts due to distractions. New inventions are constantly being made to help the society advance among a variety of other things, however there are many benefits to the traditional ways of learning. A prime example of this can be whether or not students should write with paper or pen, or take notes digitally. There is a common census that writing with paper and pen helps memory. An article talks about how physically writing helps increase the memory within a person. The act of writing itself helps us to remember things better because we create “spatial relations between the various bits of information we are recording”. Spatial relations refers to how our brain is able to link verbal information with the visible repetition of the information through writing. This is a valid example of how technology should not be used to entirely replace traditional methods of learning. There are good points to both sides as to whether or not technology should be incorporated into education regularly.

Here is a link to my hypothesis annotations (the main article annotations is titled Technology in Education).

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Technology helping or harming Education? by Treyvon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jian Wen 2 months ago

Dear Treyvon,

What side are you on? I see it as technology is doing more good than harm, even in traditional learning, those who are rich get more opportunities in classes, supplies, teacher support etc. The disparity won’t change with or without technology. But there are people who are trying to make a change like the sprint company, at out school they were giving out free devices to lessen the technology gap. I see as technology brings more good than harm, and also the paper shortage right now in Oakland schools, technology is there so we don’t have to heavily depend on paper. In my opinion technology brings more good than harm. I’ll like to hear back from you, thank you fro sharing your voice.