People tend to avoid change. Whether it is social, economic, or governmental, the human race favors what is familiar. When the affordable care act was enacted in 2010, like any new government plan, controversy and disagreement arose. Under The Affordable Care Act, the Obama Administration proposed their new goal of insuring all individuals under their health insurance. For some, this inspired a sigh of relief. However, for others this new plan encouraged large opposition toward the administration. Government official Ted Cruz stated, “Millions of people are asking for accountability, for responsibility, for truth from their elected officials, truth about how Obamacare is failing the men and women of America.”. Similarly, in August of 2009 Sarah Palin said, “The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s ‘death panel’ so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their ‘level of productivity in society,’ whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.” The previous quotes only briefly exemplify certain beliefs regarding the Affordable Care Act.
While it can be argued that Obamacare is detrimental to the people and government of the United States, there is evidence that The Affordable Care Act has actually improved the quality of life in America. Under Obamacare more people were insured and had access to higher quality healthcare. For example, since 2013 the number of uninsured individuals has dropped by approximately 53 percent; meaning that 20 million people have gained proper health insurance in the last four years. Additionally, the ACA has allowed individuals under the age of twenty-six to remain on their parent’s insurance plan. This has decreased the number of uninsured young adults by 47%, and allowed 6.1 million to be covered.
Ultimately, The Affordable Care Act proves to be beneficial for minority groups: women, African Americans, young people, and those with pre-existing conditions. Not only does it assure that young adults are able to remain on their parent’s plan, it also provides “more comprehensive services for reproductive healthcare” for women, and has given African American individuals a greater opportunity to be insured. These small changes have dramatically affected the overall health of the United States. With the ACA, more people of all genders, ages, and races, are getting the treatment they need for prices they can afford.
With Obamacare, more and more people are able to pocket money that they would otherwise spend on doctors appointments, medicine, etc. Basically, you’re paying less for the same, if not better, treatment. Annual premiums are approximately $1,800 lower than what they were in 2010 and are approximated to be $2,100 lower by the year 2020. With the lower prices offered by the Affordable Care Act things like medicaid were offered to lower income individuals. For example, nearly 4 million people whose annual income was $16,000 or lower were able to gain health coverage.
Like anything political, backlash is expected. Debates arise, and people pick sides. As previously stressed, there are multiple opposing voices towards the Affordable Care Act. However, no matter what ‘side’ you are on, there is proof that there is a strong correlation between the improvement of life in the United States and the Enactment of Obamacare. According to Eurostat health care and health administers are strongly related to the quality of life present in countries like France, Austria, Germany, Italy, etc. Similarly, the link between our healthier/happier American society can be strongly relayed back to March 23, 2010, when the Affordable Care Act was put into effect.

HypothesisPhoto by 401(K) 2013

CC BY-SA 4.0 Quality of Life & Healthcare by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mia 8 months ago

Emily, this is a very important current political issue that definitely has two very strong, opposing sides. The Affordable Care Act was a great idea that Obama and his colleagues came up with, but of course there were flaws and people took advantage of those flaws and weaknesses. Medical care is beyond expensive and people do need help to pay for the care that they need, and it is funny to me how people don’t think other people who are sick don’t deserve the help they need because they cannot afford it. Thank you for choosing to write about this issue because I do believe that it needs more attention brought to it. BBC wrote a spread on why Obamacare, or the ACA, is so controversial and I think that you would find it interesting to read! Good luck on finishing your paper!
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-24370967

2. Maggie 8 months ago

Emily,
    I really like your post about quality of life and healthcare. It is a very relevent topic in today’s world especially with everything going on. I really liked your first line “People tend to aviod change” because it is so true especially in politics. I thought it was really interesting when you said “The ACA has allowed individuals under the age of twenty-six to remain on their parent’s insurance plan. This has decreased the number of uninsured young adults by 47%, and allowed 6.1 million to be covered.” I never knew that. Here is an article that you might find interesting about the ACA. https://www.medicaid.gov/affordable-care-act/index.html Loved your post!
    Maggie