,

i was young

when pink and white flowers

grew on the dogwood tree

in the front yard of the house

every spring

and they filled my heart with joy

and my eyes with wonder

as I wondered how such a dainty thing

could be so beautiful

and it’s existence could uplift me

CC BY-SA 4.0 Wonder – ISO Giovanni by Valerie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Parker 1 year ago

Valerie,
    Your poem was very well-written. I loved all of the simple details you added because they made me visualize exactly what you were talking about. I could really feel how much this childhood memory meant to you. I hope to see more poems by you.

2. Reagan 1 year ago

Valerie,

Your poem really touched me, because it seems as though this was a memory you genuinely cherish and remember from your childhood. I hope you keep writing, because this was a truly beautiful increment that I believe you can continue to improve on!

3. Mae 1 year ago

Valerie,
    I liked your poem very much. I can really see the flowers so your imagery is great. I can also feel the warmth you convey through your word choices of “filled my heart” etc. Great job! If you want to find more poems about flowers and spring, here is a whole website full of them: http://www.quotegarden.com/flowers.html
    Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed your post!

4. Anna 1 year ago

Valerie,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem! It has such wonderful description, I could vividly see the image of the dogwood tree. I especially enjoyed the parallel structure you used in lines six and seven. Your poem kind of reminded e of the poem “Dogwood” by Kelli White (https://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/dogwood_797827_). I hope you continue to write poetry, youre very talented.

5. Paul 1 year ago

Valerie,

As someone who grew up with a dogwood tree in my backyard, I can absolutely appreciate your poem! I especially like your use of the word “dainty” as it is very fitting for dogwoods. This is a very nice piece!