It’s Saturday afternoon, you text your friends your going to hangout with them in the evening. As soon as after you text them, you decide to open up Instagram just to scroll through your newsfeed, you get tired of looking at Instagram, so you switch to twitter, realizing it’s time to go hangout with your friends. As you go to your friends house, you decide to text them that your there instead of ringing the doorbell. At your friend’s house, you guys decide to play video games instead of talking among each other. Internet and electronic devices in general is becoming a compulsion. The ubiquity of the internet increases the chance that someone will get stuck into a continuous cycle. One research by the Pew Internet and American life project found that 81% of American Adults use the internet with 74% of user using it to pass time or “to have fun.” The Ipsos found that American use of the internet has increased 20% from 2010, with Millenials spending more than 40 hours a week online. With Americans spending so much time “scrolling” there is not time to be innovative. Most Americans rather be passive than active and this has to do with the advent of technology

However, education professional argue that the use of computers and other electronic devices are beneficial. These technologies increase the amount of information students will be able to retain from classes, and gives them a chance to engage in passive learning and participatory learning. “Personal computing allow students to engage with learning material in ways distinct from those available to previous generations,” with these technologies it gives students an advantage that was never before present. The technological advances such as learning tools, online resource, and assistive technology could allow the potential of creativity. Educational software has not only allow students to perform research, but also to be actively engage when learning. A good illustration of this is 3D computer models for biology students, in which they have a chance to observe the same life function as they would when dissecting an animal. Educational video games on math and writing are another example that students may enjoy more than the standard traditional way. With these type of technologies it also help students who first language is not english translate words more quickly than having to use a dictionary all the time. Technology also allows students to participate in educational opportunities that may have not been accessible because of their geography or income, and improves service for students with learning and physical disabilities.

Technology, if used in the right way, has many positive impacts to society as a whole, but just like anything else if use too much it could be dangerous. In an article call “Help! My smartphone is making me dumb- or not?” it talks about the effect smartphones could have on a human being. One critique argued that “the internet is rewiring us into shallow, inattentive thinkers”, it causes us to be distracted and diminishes our attention span. The use of technology also cause people to be multitaskers in which many people think that is a good thing, but in reality it’s not. Recent study has proven that high multitaskers are worse at managing their short-term memory and switching tasks.

In addition, the use of technology has cause many teenagers to get addicted to the internet which could have a mental issue for their health. By becoming addicted, teenagers are accepting the loss of concentration and focus. Before I continue to talk about internet addiction, I have to first define addiction. Addiction is the relentless pull to a substance or an activity that becomes so compulsive it ultimately interferes with everyday life. In America, it has arguably become the most socially sanctioned addiction. The more often we refer back to the internet, the more our brain craves for this gratification just like a drug addict. Endless access to new information also easily overloads our working memory. Humans have a very limited reservoir of will and discipline. If technology is limited and it’s not overuse, it will help human learn to balance time and activities.

Here’s a link to my hypothesis.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Technology limits Creativity by cjames is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. […] Technology limits Creativity by Christopher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. […]

2. Ravi 3 months ago

Christopher,

This topic was very interesting to read as i have had this same question in my head. I would say technology does help and also hurt creativity. I personally think technology helps people learn about more things easier than reading books, it helps with people who can’t afford books and need free access to information. This article i read talk about the good and the bad about technology on the youth i think it’d be a good read for you https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-moment-youth/201211/generation-tech-the-good-bad-and-scary

3. Raymond 3 months ago

Hello Christopher, I found your article interesting! Depending on who you ask, this problem is either critically irrelevant or negligible to our generation. While you did say that cellphones are making us “shallow thinkers”, I would like to argue another point. I find that technology and cellphones, especially, allow younger generations access to incredible amounts of information. As a result, we are shifting away from the traditional forms of research (finding a topic and expounding information predominantly from one source) and instead focuses on quantity over quality. While we do lack in-depth knowledge about any one topic, we often make up for it in the amount of supporting evidence from diverse sources and abstracts to support our information. Here is an article I think you would find interesting to read regarding your topic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/

4. Ronnie 3 months ago

Hey Christopher! I loved reading about this topic. I believe that especially as Americans, we can see this addiction of technology all around us and even in ourselves sometimes. I do believe it’s true that we live in a time where our technology could lead us to great discoveries and innovations, but how easy will it be to stay on the right side of technology? I specifically think that technology right now is playing a big role in our education, both positively and negatively. Here’s an article that goes more into depth about technology in education: http://edtechreview.in/trends-insights/insights/277-role-of-technology-in-21st-century