I read three articles: The End of Corporate Imperialism, Corporate Imperialism for the Poor, and Policy Entrepreneurs and the Origins of the Regulatory Welfare State: Child Labor Reform in Nineteenth-Century Europe. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out how to get the annotation website, Hypothes.is working with the articles I wanted to summarize, but I can still provide the summaries for the articles I am to use.

The End of Corporate Imperialism talked mostly about how companies strategically plant markets in countries they know will pay them full price for their goods. It spoke of the model for the middle class and how corporations are feeding off the middle class, and moving to other places maximizes profit. But expectations are changing now for consumers and it is sometimes hard for companies to keep up with the changing taste. As people become more educated, they begin to be more thoughtful about their choices and can have more options when it comes to what they will pay for.

Corporate Imperialism for the Poor was interesting, because it linked the topic to another unethical occurrence. It spoke of how this corporate imperialism in earlier times is what has caused so much fo the discrimination against people based mostly on race, but also on religion, gender, and sexuality. This is actually what I was going to do in my paper. I was going to find and compare the parallels of modern society and corporate imperialism to the history of colonialism and how that has played a part in shaping the messed up things in our world today (and back then as well). Various peoples have been very suppressed throughout the ages, and today, while things may seem to be moving forward in some instances, corporations are subtly placing their marketing and manufacturing in other countries to make the most amount of money while taking advantage of the poverty in those places and the need for any money no matter how little.

Policy Entrepreneurs and the Origins of the Regulatory Welfare State: Child Labor Reform in Nineteenth-Century Europe was a very interesting article for me to read, because it connected 19th century Europe and the labor there to human trafficking and child labor in modern times. Both racism and human trafficking are problems to be addressed in this argument that corporate imperialism is only a subtle continuation of past times where the two were solidified by settlement.

The point of this argumentative essay, however, is to offer solutions to this very present problem. And while it seems like by this time we should have already moved past all of this, people have found ways to still take advantage of people and to mess with the system. This paper will consist of ways to avoid that all together and arguments for why it is such a hard reality for so many people.

Prahalad, C. K. “The End of Corporate Imperialism.” EBSCO Host, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=10256914&site=ehost-live.

https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=10256914&site=ehost-live

Cloward, Richard A., and Frances Fox Piven. “Corporate Imperialism for the Poor.” EBSCO Host, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lgh&AN=13058580&site=ehost-live.

https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lgh&AN=13058580&site=ehost-live

Anderson, Elisabeth. “Policy Entrepreneurs and the Origins of the Regulatory Welfare State: Child Labor Reform in Nineteenth-Century Europe.” EBSCO Host, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=127653213&site=ehost-live.

https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=127653213&site=ehost-live

CC BY-SA 4.0 Post #8 (Third Blog Post) by Sophia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.