Geography is a major component that affects how cultures are formed. A culture is made up of people who have a shared human achievement that is intellectual. A culture brings people together and allows them to share common interests. Cultures are often made more diverse due to their interactions with their environment. Geography can impact communication with each other because of physical barriers. In addition, people who belong to the same cultures can have common beliefs about their geography and can be impacted by it in similar ways. Many cultures have similar customs and ideas when it come to how land should be used. Most cultures are directly impacted by what resources are available to them in their geography. Therefore, geography directly affects the formation of cultures.
There are many ways for ecological and geographical factors to affect the formation of personalities in different cultures. Culture is built on the personalities of the residents. According to World of Health, there are five current hypotheses on how personalities are formed. However, none of these hypotheses involve geography. For example, the first hypothesis states that biology is an important basis for personality. The second and third hypotheses state that experiences with parents strongly influences personality. The fourth theory claims that people who have the same objective experiences develop different personality profiles. Finally, the fifth hypothesis asserts that personalities come from inferences based on direct observations. All these hypothesis fail to mention that the geography of a place is significant when considering how personalities are formed. However, the article does state that “Of the four important influences on personality–identification, ordinal position, social class, and parental socialization–identification is the most important.” Identification could be race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status. This article fails to highlight the most influential aspect of how personality is formed.

People have become dispersed around the world over the last 100,000 years. As people have migrated to new places and have become immersed in new localities, their cultures have become unique to each other. People have begun to look at why cultures are so different. In particular, people wonder how there have come to be so many cultures. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there are so many cultures because they “were and are the outcome of the way in which kin-based human communities reproduce themselves over generations, and in doing so fission; that the rate of fissioning is strongly influenced by ecological and geographical factors; and that humans have a unique cognitive capacity to generate socially transmissible behaviors which structure the outcome of the fissioning.(1)” In other words, cultures often can become separated due to factors such as nature or relative arrangement and interaction with places. There are four main geographical factors that affect how cultures form. First, topography affects the development of cultures because it involves valleys, hills, mountains, and plateaus. These natural barriers can limit human travel and isolate populations. Therefore, restricting cultural exchanges. In addition, large bodies of water can isolate or restrict cultures from one another. However, if they are easy to navigate, they can also expose cultures to new concepts as they are great systems for traveling and cultural exchange. Third, vegetation affects what people eat and how they travel. Finally, climate shapes what people eat, how they dress, when they travel, and their style of architecture. People may have to migrate because they no longer have access to food or water, they may have experienced a natural disaster, or the climate may no longer be suitable. All these factors allow for new cultures to form.

1.http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/scic/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?disableHighlighting=false&displayGroupName=Reference&currPage=&scanId=&query=&docIndex=&source=&prodId=SCIC&search_within_results=&p=SCIC&mode=view&catId=&u=pioneer&limiter=&display-query=&displayGroups=&contentModules=&action=e&sortBy=&documentId=GALE%7CCV2191500991&windowstate=normal&activityType=BasicSearch&failOverType=&commentary=

CC BY-SA 4.0 Geography and the Development of Cultures by Erica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.