Writing is not the easiest for me. I have trouble putting everything on the paper, for example, detail and punctuation. I do not find writing all that enjoyable. I do not write often unless it is assigned to me in class. If I had to pick between free writing and a poem though I would pick the free writing. I do like to write during sacred writing time because it gives me a chance to free my thoughts. Writing becomes more complicated for me when it is being graded. I focus more on getting a good grade than I do on the actual piece I am writing.  

When I do decide to write though I enjoy writing about real life experiences for example,  my move to Okemos from Detroit. Writing about real life experiences is what matters most to me. All the real emotion and feeling is in the writing of true stories. In my opinion, you can actually get a sense of what it would be like to be in someone else’s shoes in their writing. I also like to write about things that could never happen. Impossible stories are fun because it allows me to just make everything up and have fun with the story.

Quiet times are my ideal time for writing; then I can organize my thoughts. I am a person who finds it hard to concentrate so when it is quiet that is my chance to actually concentrate. My number one technique in writing is listing every point I’m going to write about to ensure that I will not forget. Aside from my weaknesses that I already addressed I would say my strength is my voice in my writing. I think I give a different perspective than others in my writing.

My goal this year is to become a better writer and better define my voice as a writer. Not to mention getting a clear message across in my writing. I always express my thoughts in my writing, but I always cut my writing short. I would like to learn how to extend my pieces. And I would also like to learn how to write a real poem even though I do not like poems. I want to learn how to write a real poem so that I know my format is right. Lastly my diction, I’d like to extend my diction to help my writing.

I do not have a lot of memories from writing. Creative writing is my first real writing class besides freshman year lit comp. I remember when my first paper was assigned, and I had never written a paper before. I had no clue where to even start the paper or what a thesis was. I felt so lost and behind, but since then I think I have grown as a writer. I just need a little more work on writing in general. I do not think my situation was made any better not having a writing class my first semester. I know taking this class will help me improve, which is greatly appreciated.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Autobiography of a writer by Kariah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abimbola 4 months ago

Dear Kariah,

I can definitely identify with the writing struggles that you described in your piece. Two sentences that stand out to me are, “I felt so lost and behind, but since then I think I have grown as a writer. I just need a little more work on writing in general.” They made me think back to my own time as a college student. My writing changed tremendously as I transitioned from college to grad school. When I was writing for my college English classes, my primary focus was thinking about the mechanics of writing and the grade that my professor would give me. However, when I started to write about topics that I was greatly concerned with, and to think about my personal voice as a writer, it became much easier for me to grow as writer. Now I spend time trying to write each day (whether it is in my personal notebook, online, or just on my laptop). This has challenged me to be more strategic about when I write and how I approach my writing. I enjoy finding quiet moments just like you though and the morning works best for me. Thank you for sharing!

Best,

Abimbola

2. Jaden 7 months ago

Hi Kariah,

I like that your goal is to extend your knowledge of writing. I think that if you have trouble getting ideas down, might I suggest a book with writing prompts? I have one and they’re really nice when I don’t know what to write or I have writers block. The one I have is: 1,000 Awesome Writing Prompts by Ryan Andrew Kinder. It also really helps to just unload your ideas into something and not have to worry about necessarily making it into an actual story. I hope that this helps.

3. Ronnie 7 months ago

Hi Kariah!
    I agreed so much with many points on your article! I myself find it hard to concentrate when writing or finding a focal point for my work. Just like you, writing comes easy to me when I’m writing about things I enjoy or that have happened to me. I believe practice is what you really have to do when working with topics that aren’t specifically enjoyable, and don’t discourage yourself! I’ve found an article for you that gives tips for better writing skills! Here you go: https://goinswriter.com/writing-tips/

4. Mae 7 months ago

Hello Kariah,
    Thank you for sharing; I found you post interesting to read. I understand that writing can be seen as a task more than a pleasure. I relate in which it is hard for me to write well unless I force myself to sit down and get work done. There haven’t been many times I can recall where I willingly wrote an essay for myself. However, platforms like youth voices gives me the opportunity write about whatever I want, when I want- it doesn’t feel like an assigned chore. Through youth voices I’ve actually found writing enjoyable; I hope you can too, soon.
    Best wishes,
    Mae
    P.S. I found an article you might want to read about english class that I found interesting: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/why-hate-english-class

5. Erica 7 months ago

Kariah,

I found your article very interesting. Specifically when you said “Writing about real life experiences is what matters most to me.” I agree with that because oftentimes it is easier to stay engaged when you are writing about what you have personally experienced. It is hard to write about something that doesn’t interest you. I think you would enjoy reading this article (http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/improve-my-writing/9-ways-to-get-started-and-stay-motivated) about how to start writing and how to stay motivated. Thank you for sharing your perspective on this idea. I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

6. Catherine 7 months ago

Kariah,
    I think that your striving to become a better writer is awesome. I myself also love writing, especially creative writing, and personally I find that reading other peoples work helps a lot too. There is a website called wattpad where you can publish writing, like stories or poems or essays, and also establish copyright on your pieces. They have some writing blogs too that work to help young writers improve their work. I think that it could be fun for you to try it out, and it will be a way to get your writing out into the world too, also reading other peoples pieces may help you develop your work as well.
    Writing is a really good creative outlet and a valuable skill as well, keep writing.