Genetically modified organisms have been a hot topic for a long time since when they were introduced into agriculture and food production. The introduction of GMOs was so farmers could have an easier time and not have to worry about three things that could prevent a good yield: insects, weeds and weather. Almost all the GMOs in use today are being used to fight against insects and weeds that destroy crops. The genetically modified plants are modified so that they can repel a certain type of insect that feeds on it. In doing so farmers wouldn’t have to use pesticides to deal with this issue. The use of of weed killers can also go do significantly if a genetically modified plant can resist a herbicide. This leads to farmers being able to take care of their crops more efficiently and lessens their expenses.

In a farmers field, there are thousands to insects. These insects can be good and helpful to the crops; bees help pollinate and other insects help break down crop residue in soil and some even eat the pests. In the thousands of insects in the field, pest can damage the crops and can even ruin the entire field of produce by killing or eating the plant. To make sure that the pests don’t ruin their crops, farmers use pesticides. Pesticides are chemicals that prevent damage to plants by making a barrier that would make the plant toxic to eat for the pest. However there are may negative consequences of pesticides. Adding pesticides can kill harmful insets but they also kill insects that help the farmers (bees etc.). These chemicals are also very costly to the farms and also very harmful to the people that apply them. These are very good reasons as to why scientist developed GMOs that are resistant to pests, therefore reducing the need for pesticide use.Pests aren’t the only worry for a farmer. Farmers also have to deal with weeds, and to deal with that they use herbicides. Genetically Modified Plants are usually resistant to the herbicide used so it kills the weed but leaves the plant intact.

GMOs draw a lot of attention in that people don’t know if they are harmful to the people that consume these plants. As of now there is no strong data, tested for suitable amount of time, that indicates that the use of GMOs is harmful to the health of humans. However GMOs go under strict evaluations and only one or two genes are changed in the plants, this hasn’t shown to cause any problems to humans because the genes changed are well understood. A large number of prestigious health and science organizations from around the world have studied and concluded that GMOs are safe for human health. GMOs have been on the markets and sold for about two decades and no where in those years has any health issue has occurred.

In today’s world, the ones who see the most gain from the use of GMOs are the farmers and companies that have to do with agriculture. Consumers also benefit from the use of GMOs because as farmers because tillage isn’t as necessary for weed control, less pesticide application and other sprays. As a result, the cost of food items does go down, even if consumers are unaware as it may only be a few cents but still that is a benefit if people know or don’t. In the future for consumers,  if the nutritional properties of plants are enhanced  then it could directly benefit them but for now it hasn’t come to that but scientist are looking into it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Genetically Modified Organisms. Should we use them or no? (Research Paper, Part 2) by Ravi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kevin 1 month ago

Hello Ravi,

This is a really touchy topic, with the creation of new ways to alter the very genes that all life is based on. But one key thing that many people opposed the GMOs often leave out is that we, humans, have been genetically modifying organisms for our own benefit for our entire existence. For example the modern dog and corn are all result of careful artificial selection over thousands of years. If you think about it in this context, modern GMOs just simply had the gene altering process sped up by thousand-fold. In the future with climate and overpopulation GMOs will provide the world with necessary food to avoid a world wide starvation crisis of biblical proportions.

2. Catherine 1 month ago

Hi Ravi,
    I think this topic really interesting, because with the technology we have, we have the power to do a lot. Especially with our food. There is an old tv show, called Gilligans island that explores this in a funny. Five people are stranded on an island and one day radioactive food washes ashore and it basically gives them super powers. Though this is just satire, I think it poses a good point. Where will GMO’s go in the future and how they will actually be able to effect us, seeing as how we’ve already been working with GMO’s for a awhile. Personally I don’t know if I like the idea of furthering our work on GMO’s, here is an article that you may want to look at.