Bird, if you go outside and fly in the wind,

You will toss and tumble straight to the ground,

You cannot soar through the gusts, you’re not profound,

You will be blown to the earth and to the earth you’ll be pinned.

Owner, I’ve been in this cage for countless years,

Stuck behind these tantalizing metal bars,

The outside world through the window so clear,

Please let me be free, and let me fly far.

Inspired by Elizabeth Coatsworth

CC BY-SA 4.0 I.S.O Coatsworth by Brandon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Christian 5 months ago

Brandon, I really enjoyed the use of two voices in this poem where I could see them directly contrasting against one another, but I could relate to each argument and see the points made by both speakers. It was a unique reading experience to see both sides of a discussion and to connect to both of the voices who expressed such strong beliefs.

2. Katie 5 months ago

Brandon, this was a really good poem. I think it was brilliant playing off of Coatsworth’s concept of a pet and owner dialogue. I especially like how you used the phrase “you will toss and tumble straight to the ground.” I look forward to seeing more of your poems.