Murphy, Sam. “Skiing vs Snowboarding.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 22 Dec. 2007, www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2007/dec/22/weekend7.weekend11.

In this article the author discusses the physical effects of snowboarding and skiing on the human body. Skiing really targets the thighs, bottom and hips, building strong, toned muscles. The steeper the slope, the higher the muscular activity particularly in the thighs. Snowboarding is more of a whole-body sport. The calves and shins work hard to facilitate the “heel-toe” motion but the lower back and abdominals work hard to rotate the torso. Skiing is a technical sport, and the fact that your feet can move independently means you need good coordination, body awareness and muscular control. Even so, you should grasp the basics in a few days. You can quickly become a good snowboarder. There’s less equipment to get to grips with and you can get away with mistakes more easily.Once you get it, you’ll be able to take on the mountain. Both sports involve repeated brief bouts of intense effort. It’s quite possible to use well in excess of 1,000 calories during a day on the slopes. Snowboarding gets the edge on skiing. An average man would burn approximately 20 calories more snowboarding than skiing. As a snowboarder, you are constantly active. In skiing German research shows that good core stability is needed to keep the upper body still while the legs move beneath. A stable core also helps you remain balanced. In snowboarding correct technique requires strong rotational control of the trunk. Core muscles provide the power to turn and keep the body upright. Strong abs help you maneuver your board when you get up after a fall. If you’ve got creaky knees, or dread getting them, skiing may not be ideal.”Torsional”, or twisting, forces can be high – knee problems account for a significant number of all skiing injuries. Knee injuries are far less common in snowboarding. Having both feet attached to the same surface reduces the scope for twisting, and falls tend to land you on your bottom, rather than your knees.

Overall the data presented in this article puts skiing and snowboarding on par with each other as far as physical exertion and potential risk of injury. The fact that skiing is easier to learn should be a factor in why young people would lean towards learning to ski or why parents would have their child learn to ski rather than snowboard. This article does claim that a snowboarder is at lower risk for knee injury but it is harder to learn but once you get the hang of it you can ride almost the whole mountain. Because snowboarding is somewhat of a generational hobby that involves a generation that is getting to old to be on the mountain it can be inferred that many parents who snowboard will teach their children to snowboard. And since in snowboarding there is a lower risk of serious injury dependent of course upon the amount of risk individuals face by their own choice, as well as the fact that it is slightly easier to become proficient at it is difficult to say that skiing could overshadow snowboarding but that is what statistics have been showing at the present time.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gale Skiing vs Snowboarding by Max is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.