Y-A-Q-U-E-L-I-N

I’d like to think my name is unique just like me

I wasn’t named after anyone

Nor does my name have a significant meaning

But it means something to me

My name is a mystery for most people who see it

They don’t know how to pronounce it

They have a confused look on their face when they see it

And they apologize after they say it

At first it used to bother me

But now it just makes me laugh

In a way I’m kind of glad I wasn’t named after someone

I want to be my own individual

I am my own individual

I want to have my own story

And I have my own story

Unique

My name is unique

My personality is unique

My story is unique

My name makes me who I am

I couldn’t imagine having another name

I remember once calling myself by another name

It didn’t sound right

I guess a persons name goes with who they are

My mom is one of the few people who call me Yaquelin

I honestly don’t know why

I think because she knows Yaquelin is who I am

Yaquelin is more complicated

Yaqui was the simpler version

It was easier to decipher

I am complicated

I am in no way simple

But I only allow people to call me Yaqui

Except for my mom

She calls me by the name she gave me

My mom

She has seen me grow

She knows the person I am

And the person I will become

She calls me by the name she gave me

And not by the name others gave me

Yaquelin

That’s my name

That’s who I am

That’s who I will continue to be

And it’s who I will always be without a doubt

CC BY-SA 4.0 Y-A-Q-U-E-L-I-N by Yaqui is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yojana 2 days ago

Dear Yaquelin,

I am really proud of you about your post “story if my name” because it made me seem that you added a lot of thoughts and it convinced me that you like your name and don’t want other name then Yaquelin. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Yaquelin That’s my name That’s who I am That’s who I will continue to be”. I think this part was really positive and really strong because you were say that Yaquelin will be the name that you will be using. Also this section was the part where it started out to me because you talked really positive with out no negative thoughts. Another sentence that I liked was “I’d like to think my name is unique just like me I wasn’t named after anyone Nor does my name have a significant meaning But it means something to me”. This stood out to me because you weren’t named after a person because usually we get our names after a family or someone else but I like how your name wasn’t named after a person. And I Liked how you say that your name means so much to you. Manny people say that they don’t like their names because they were named by other people. Thanks for you writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you add a really interesting topic. I really liked your post you were really thought full.

2. Xochitl 1 week ago

Her memoir tells us that she’s both Yaqui and Yaquelin, only she’s drawn more to Yaqui when she’s around specific people. Her name is a huge part of her identity and that’s never going to change.

3. Kevin 1 week ago

This name memoir is very strong because she explains how she is who she wants to be. Her name is a big part of who she is and how people view her. Everyone calls her by Yaqui except her mother who was the first one to give her, her birth name. The name memoir is a good description of how her name describes who she is.