A learning disability–or an LD–is a condition in the brain that can make it difficult for a person to comprehend one or more sections of learning (reading, writing, math, etc.). These disabilities are generally something that people are born with, during the first few months of a woman’s pregnancy when the baby’s brain is forming in the womb. The best way to describe how this is that the brain wires itself as the baby forms, but in these cases, there is a wire or two that is incorrectly matched. There are plenty of cases that are prevalent in a child’s learning early on in their life, where they may have trouble reading, writing, or in math. However, there are several cases where a person is a great student in their younger years at primary school when things are easier, but as a teen learning is much more complex and this is when a learning disability may show. This does not mean that a student simply acquired this disability when they got older, but because the LD was dormant while things were easy, and then the brain had trouble processing harder and more complex information.

Only about 15% of the United States population has a learning disability, that is about 3 million people, which also translates to one in seven people. Although learning disabilities limit people on what they can learn, it is not impossible to still succeed. With a little extra time and programs like IEP’s, there is ample opportunity for individuals to succeed and keep up with the rest of their peers. The general idea of a learning disability was referred to as a “hidden handicap” in an article by Jan Farrington which is the perfect way to describe an LD. Most people view the word handicap as someone who is physically incapable or unable to perform an outward task. However, handicap is defined as a ‘disadvantage that makes life more difficult’, which branches out to all aspects of life, not solely a physical handicap.

https://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T003&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=2&docId=GALE%7CA193406264&docType=Article&sort=Relevance&contentSegment=&prodId=STOM&contentSet=GALE%7CA193406264&searchId=R1&userGroupName=pioneer&inPS=true&authCount=1&u=pioneer#annotations:A4uWChDREeifF8-GG_fWow

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Are Learning Disabilities? by Reagan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Parker 5 months ago

Reagan,
    Your post was very interesting and well-written. I liked how you didn’t present learning disabilities in a negative way like many other people, which like you said has detrimental effects on those with LDs. I didn’t know there was such a significant percentage of Americans with LDs and that they can be more apparent in different times of life. Those statistics just make it that much more important that we create an education system that can suit their unique needs throughout all of their time in school. It is saddening that kids would feel stupid and have low self-esteem or struggle in school without help for something they cannot control because those around them may not realize when a they are suffering from an LD. I hope we continue to improve our schools to better help kids with LDs. I also found this article on strategies for teaching kids with learning disabilities: https://ldaamerica.org/successful-strategies-for-teaching-students-with-learning-disabilities/
    Thank you for your post, it was very informative.