On April 3 of 2000, I was going to die.

My neck was wrapped around on what was the attachment that I had with my mother.

There was a miracle that night by god and I survived.

It was like as if I was getting a second chance to make this world.

My mother was thankful with god and Virgin Mary.

“She’s an angel sent from above”. – Mother

The name ¨Angeles¨ comes from a Greek origin.

This name comes from ¨The Lady of all the Angels”.

She represents Virgin Mary- Queen of all Angels, a very feminine name.

My mother was so so thankful that she had to give me another name.

“Guadalupe”.

This name comes from an Arabic origin that got all the way to Mexico.

“Guadalupe can be both a feminine and masculine name.

This term came from a river called ¨Guadalupe¨.

Virgin Mary was named “Guadalupe” as well.

My names are not that unique since a few people have them.

I feel like I am unique.

I like to act different than others and do things that normally other people wouldn’t do.

“Guesona” my family calls me because I am skinny.

Boney in english.

Yup… skinny up till this day.

The nickname “boney” is a sign of lack of respect that was referred to the french military under Napoleon.

But…

I’m sure that my parents don’t mean it in a disrespectful way.

They love me.

When they see me is like they are seeing a beautiful sunny day that brightened up their day.

Even though my names are a bit long…

I had a second chance to open up my eyes and see my first glimpse of light at 10 pm.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “She’s An Angel Sent From Above” by Angeles is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. German 7 months ago

Dear Angeles,
    I am moved by your poem “She’s An Angel Sent From Above” because it has so much meaning behind it and shows exactly how you feel. One line that stood out to me was, “My neck was wrapped around on what was the attachment that I had with my mother.” this stood out to me because the same thing happened to me before i was born and i know how it must have felt when you were told or learned of this. Another line that stood out to me was, ““Guadalupe can be both a feminine and masculine name.”. This stood out to me because this was something that i did not know i have always just assumed it was a feminine name only. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are an interesting writer.

2. Elizabeth 7 months ago

Dear Angeles,
    Thank you for sharing this very personal, and touching story with us all. I enjoyed reading your poem because it was very different from the others. Your poem is very interesting because it did not only explain what your name is it gave all the stories behind both of your names. I really enjoyed reading your story about life giving you a second chance to live. Your poem really shows how you are proud of your names. Thank You for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing is so detailed and moving. I enjoy reading about very good true stories.

3. Eva 7 months ago

Powerful –> “Even though my names are a bit long… // I had a second chance to open up my eyes and see my first glimpse of light at 10 pm.” I’m so glad you got a second chance to live and be and write this poem. Thank you for sharing! 🙂

4. Caleigh 7 months ago

I really like how you expressed your story of your name, and how it has impacted you in so many ways. I also think it is interesting that your entire name means something uniquely and special to you, and its cool to think about how each and every person on this planet, has a different meaning of their name.
    Thanks for sharing your story,
    Caleigh

5. Joe 7 months ago

Dear Angeles,
    I really liked how you express your name in that defines who you are. But the best thing about your name is that it have a lot of different meanings.

6. Aida 7 months ago

Dear, Angeles

I really liked how you made this piece really short, but gave it a lot of details. I learned a lot from this piece. I liked how u also shared what your name means.

7. Saul 7 months ago

I really like how you told the story of your identity of your name and how w=has it impacted you thorough out your life. In both a negative way and positive way. Mostly positive about your name.