If my name was to represent my identity, it would be something much more creative and fun.

My name isn’t unique, or uncommon, in fact it’s been used as a name for decades thanks to its origin of “Angel”.

Angela means the exact same as Angel just written in a feminine way which is why I just don’t see this name as cool as any others.

The act of kindness and traits as pure and innocent don’t really represent my identity in a way that it’s not what I would see or describe myself as.

Even if my name means something that isn’t me, I wouldn’t change it because the irony is already a part of who I am.

My name is like wearing a different outfit everyday but still keeping one thing the same. No matter the outfit, I might always wear something black. That black represent something that will always be the same for me. Something people can recall about me. That’s my name. I can’t promise I will be the same person I was last year, a few months ago, or yesterday. The same people constantly see me maybe with a different expression and attitude but who i am and the way i speak will always be the same. My name is just a word to let others communicate with me and catch my attention in a way i can respond. It was something without meaning that was given to me without thought. If I could change it, I wouldn’t because then I would get lost in a world where thinking too much about something that isn’t that important can really change me. I don’t want to change something I don’t care too much about. It’s a weird relationship I have with my name because if I keep it, I don’t think much about it and i’m not sure how to feel about that. But if I change it, I won’t feel like like myself. I’m not saying my name is supposed to represent who I am because you can’t judge others just based on their name especially since it was something given to you and not your decision. My name is what I look like but not who I am.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflecting on the Significance of My Name by Angela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Linda 5 months ago

Dear Angela,
    I am delighted with your name significance because there was a lot of information about your name. One sentence that stood out to me is “Even if my name means something that isn’t me, I wouldn’t change it because the irony is already a part of who I am.” This stood out me because it says a lot if meaning and how your name is an important part of you. Thank you for writing this, it actually was very interested
    to read

2. Eva 5 months ago

Powerful line –> “If I could change it, I wouldn’t because then I would get lost in a world where thinking too much about something that isn’t that important can really change me.” — I also appreciated your comparison of your name and a piece of black in an outfit. Creative, and fitting! Well done.

3. Jian Wen 5 months ago

Dear Angela,

I disagree that names don’t make up your identity. If you had a different name wouldn’t you be a different person? My name, Kevin, even though it is dull and common, the meaning behind it is different. My parents went through lots of struggles to get to America, to get their papers, and to name me Kevin. There is a lot of background and meaning behind names. I wouldn’t say names make up out whole identity thou as you have said, there are many different variables to take into account and that is one of the things we ourselves have power over. So its in your own power to make yourself stand out how you want to be understood. Your identity is defined by who you are, a name won’t lock that down. Go out there and show who you are. Names shouldn’t shackle you, they should be part of you. Thank you for sharing your voice!

4. Anthony 5 months ago

Dear Angela,

I like how you went out your way and talk about how your relationship to your name isnt as significant. You were being real and giving your point of view about your name. I agree with you when you said our name were chosen for us. Great work!!

5. Joe 5 months ago

Dear Angela,
    I like how you’re name doesn’t stop you for being who your are and what you do. That in you’re own way, you cherished your name and the significance to how you interpret it. However, the most important part of your piece that caught my attention is “Even if my name means something that isn’t me, I wouldn’t change it because the irony is already a part of who I am.” and when i read this line, it make’s me feel good that you wouldn’t change your name even if the meaning is ever changed or if you view it differently than others. By reading this memoir, I could say that I got to know you a little better based on your relationship with your name. Your piece is amazing and inspirational.