Rodrigo Pena Lopez was the name I was given when I was born. Even though my birth certificate has my two last names I only like using Pena because it’s shorter and in Mexico my whole family goes by the word Peña’s, that is how people know us over there. The meaning of the word Pena is a rock. This describes me a lot because I’m a person that doesn’t fall down that easily just like the rock doesn’t break that easy.

I share my last name with my uncles and cousins. Not only do I share that with them I also share the love for soccer. The funny thing is that almost everyone plays defense. My dad, my uncles, my cousins, my brother and I have been defense our whole lives. This relates to me as being a rock because being a defence is not easy because you have to block the other team from scoring at your goal.

My Dad has been my inspiration. He is a strong person and a hard working man. My dad works as a butcher at a store. My dads struggle was being able to leave his family for 8 years to be able to support our family.This is why I’m glad of being his son because I have the same last name as him which is Pena and for me Pena is someone that doesn’t give up that easily on the things we want or would like to accomplish. My dad has proven that to me because he is a person that works hard every day so that our family can always be happy.

I, Rodrigo Pena Lopez, I’m a strong person that won’t give up on my dreams until I accomplish them because I’m like the rock called Pena that never breaks that easily so I won’t give up that easily either. My dreams are being able to succeed in life so that I can advocate for myself and be able to help my parents in the future.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflecting on the Significance of my Last Name in 2018 by Rodrigo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Esthefany 1 week ago

Hi Rodrigo, I really admire the act that you mention your dad and how you look up yo him. I really liked your memoir because you refer as yourself in a very positive way.