I am Xochitl (So – Cheel) and just like the rose that grew from concrete, full of life and hope. To many I’m Xochitl, to some I’m Xoch. Being the only one in my family with this name shows how different I am from everyone else. To many a name is just a name, to me my name is more than that.

Xochitl is a aztec princess of flowers and just like the rose that grew from concrete, full of life and hope. She is the glue that holds her family together. She’s the hard headed girl that will fool you for a tough gal but deep inside she’s as soft as the next. I think of the “X” in my name as a fuck you to society. It isn’t an invitation for you to say “I’m going to call you …” My name is Xochitl not Sochil, Xotchil, Zochil or however you mispronounced or misspelled my name.

I am Xochitl. I will always be Xochitl. And just like the rose that grew from concrete, full xof life and hope, she blossoms. I am strong, independent and I fight for what I believe is right. Xochitl isn’t like anyone else, she’s everything she’s strived to be and more. With passion and openness, she strives to make her dreams become reality. I’m not here to please, but to build. Xochitl isn’t just my name, it’s my legacy.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nahuatl by Xochitl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eva 2 months ago

I love your repetition of “just like the rose that grew from concrete.” It’s powerful, effective, and SO you! Beautiful work!

2. Leslie 2 months ago

Dear Xochitl,

I am in love with this and how you express your name with such originality. One phrase that definanty stood out to me is how you connected it the "rose that grew from concrete" because binds with the idea of how strong you make yourself out to be. Something that I think you could have gotten in more detail maybe is where your name came from why did they name you Xochitl? Or where did they get it from? I loved your post so much keep writing!!

-Leslie