I am Xochitl (So – Cheel) and just like the rose that grew from concrete, full of life and hope. To many I’m Xochitl, to some I’m Xoch. Being the only one in my family with this name shows how different I am from everyone else. To many a name is just a name, to me my name is more than that.

Xochitl is a aztec princess of flowers and just like the rose that grew from concrete, full of life and hope. She is the glue that holds her family together. She’s the hard headed girl that will fool you for a tough gal but deep inside she’s as soft as the next. I think of the “X” in my name as a fuck you to society. It isn’t an invitation for you to say “I’m going to call you …” My name is Xochitl not Sochil, Xotchil, Zochil or however you mispronounced or misspelled my name.

I am Xochitl. I will always be Xochitl. And just like the rose that grew from concrete, full xof life and hope, she blossoms. I am strong, independent and I fight for what I believe is right. Xochitl isn’t like anyone else, she’s everything she’s strived to be and more. With passion and openness, she strives to make her dreams become reality. I’m not here to please, but to build. Xochitl isn’t just my name, it’s my legacy.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nahuatl by Xochitl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.