The last name I received has been a huge impact in my life because it has made me who I am today. It has made me be a different person with different people at different points in my life. It has reflected towards what I want to become for my future and what I don’t want to become in my future. It has taught me to be strong as a women and not give up.

My last name Del Rio has taught me to be a stronger person physically and mentally because of family issues and the problems our family face. My last name has impacted my identity to act someone I’m really not with various different people. I only decide to act a certain way with people because I’m sure they won’t do anything to break my trust or say things about me behind my back. The meaning of my last name you can guess it even by hearing it because it is something you hear because it defines a river many people consider it how it is ‘From The River’ because that is what it means.

Where me and my family are from many people consider it differently every single family has a nickname and for us it’s just our last name and many people know us by that where we’re from. My last name has shaped the way I am and it has affected the fact that I can act only a certain way with fewer people than how I used to before. My last name has impacted me  mentally but most importantly it has brought a different version of me that you can say I’m very different than what people think and say. My last name has different backgrounds but people only see the bad side and not the good side as it is what affects me and the rest of the people that carry the same last name as me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Memoir to last name by Guadalupe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kamyiah 5 months ago

Dear Guadalupe,
    Your work fills me with pride. I don’t know you so I know this seems pretty bold to claim, but it’s nice to know that your identity is so shaped up by your name. Your work seemed like you were opening up, and if you weren’t, I still felt that feeling. Your work reminded me of myself. Technically the opposite of myself, but i felt connected. I never felt my name made that much of my identity up but that’s because I basically hate my name. I feel that seeing how much of your identity your name makes up of you opens my eyes. One sentence that stood out to me was, “My last name has impacted me mentally “, I felt that this was something worth standing out. It shows your different impacts of your name. Another sentence that stood out to me was, “ My last name has impacted my identity to act someone I’m really not with various different people” this quote stands out to me because it leaves me in questioning. What ways has your name caused this? I can see how it can impact involving race but I’d like to know the actual story. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your work is opening. Your writing seems personal and it’s cool to read that. I really appreciate getting a chance to read your work. If you’d like please reply.

2. Leo 5 months ago

Dear Lupe
    I like your post about your last name and how it shaped you to the person that you are today one quote that stood out to me is ”Where me and my family are from many people consider it differently every single family has a nickname and for us it’s just our last name and many people know us by that where we’re from” this stood out to me because were my family is from they have nicknames that are unique to the people that have the nickname. Hope to see more of your writing in the future

3. Joshua 5 months ago

Dear Lupe,
    I am grateful for reading your piece because you seem like a good writer. one sentence that stood out to me the most about your name was” The last name I received has been a huge impact in my life because it has made me who I am today. It has made me be a different person with different people at different points in my life. It has reflected towards what I want to become for my future and what I don’t want to become in my future. It has taught me to be strong as a women and not give up.”. This stood out to me the most because your basically proving all the stereotypes of woman wrong. Your showing pride to your name which is good. Thank you for writing I look foreword to reading what you write in the future.

4. Jennifer 5 months ago

I can relate to somethings about the expressions and problems. I really like how you express yourself through this name memoir Lupe!