Are schools doing enough to accommodate students with learning disabilities?

The majority of the time, learning disabilities are hereditary, so a student cannot control or change the fact they have trouble learning in specific ways. But are schools doing enough to help them be their best? Many sources have suggested that a lot of educators see children with undiagnosed learn disabilities as naughty because they have a harder time following guidelines. Because of this, teachers tend to punish these children for not following directions or for disrupting class. The best way to help a child and see if they do indeed have some type of learning disability is to observe them over time, over the period of a couple weeks rather than one or two instances where they are having trouble in school.

The most common types of learning disabilities are dyslexia, ADHD, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and the ability to process deficits. Dyslexia is seen the most in schools, and is a disability in which a person has trouble reading. ADHD is also very common, but has also been disputed whether it is actually a learning disability. Whether the answer is yes or no, it does tend to impede learning ability. This disability is where someone has an overactive mental capacity, finding it difficult to pay attention and stay on task. However, this disability can be treated with medication to help students focus more. Dyscalculia and dysgraphia are two that are not as widely discussed, but are still in the top five most common disabilities. Dyscalculia is the inability of a person to perform mathematical tasks, which can range from simply being unable to order numbers correctly or being unable to problem solve. Dysgraphia is more of a physical disability causing a student to be unable to write and have trouble writing. The fifth and final most common is the ability to process deficits, which means they have difficulty processing data and facts in numbers.

This epidemic requires by law that schools have programs for children with learning disabilities. Through tests to determine a students disability, they can then be placed in an IEP (Individualized Education Program). These programs are usually specialized to cater the needs of each child’s disability. If these programs are up to the standard so that each child is able to excel at school, then the school is doing all that they can to help the student. A large part of their success also lies within the parents putting in the quality time to help their child with school work at home and in his everyday life.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Learning Disabilities in Schools by Reagan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ronaysi 23 hours ago

Dear Regan
    I am happy to read this post because it made think about my brother when he was in a regular school and how the school and teachers didn’t understand that he have problems understanding the material that the teacher was giving him. Something that I noticed in schools is that they don’t accommodate kids that have especial needs.
    Many public schools and private schools tend to bring in more money for these programs for special needs kids. Many people judge students who have accommodations in school. They think that if people are helping you, you are not smart enough to think in your own.
    A sentences that really grab my attention was when the Regan said: ”But are schools doing enough to help them be their best?” Is it true that schools are helping special needs kids do their best? That’s one of the thoughts that I had about this.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I love the way you wrote your article it was pretty good and it show that you really care about kids with learning disabilities.

2. Christopher 2 months ago

Hey Regan, I really enjoyed your post about learning disabilities. I agree that schools/teachers do not help students who have learning disabilities, and these students are the students who are behind in class and need help. I like how you defined each different learning disabilities, and how you stated your solution that schools should incorporate programs for students with learning disabilities so their not behind their classmates. I found an article about the research and knowledge of learning disability that you may be interested in (https://www.understood.org/en/advocacy/take-action/research-and-knowledge). Anyways I look forward to what you write next, take care.

3. Sophie 2 months ago

Reagan,
    I agree with your post. I believe that many kids in our society have learning disabilities and don’t know it. Yet, our academic system fails them instead of trying to help them. I think our system needs to be better in accommodating people who have these conditions so they have equality to opportunity as the rest of the kids. The worst type of “accommodation” is punishment for their behavior. Their behavior is involuntary and should be treated with medication (if needed), therapy (if needed), love, care, and patience. Here is another article that you might wanna check out: https://ldaamerica.org/successful-strategies-for-teaching-students-with-learning-disabilities/

4. Anthony 2 months ago

Regan, I love your post and think the validity of the post is definitely worth looking at. Today, I can through my own optinion that schools do not accomdate to the needs of students. Many public schools that are not private school, which tend to bring in more money for these programs, do not have the funding for these which are vital. Many people at Judge who have these accommodations are very well equipped for taking the ACT, they help with getting that paper work that is needed for having the proper accommodations, whereas, I feel in a public school kids are lost and don’t know how to navigate and they suffer from so ething they have no control over. I found this website which helps my claims. Hope this helps.

https://www.dyslexicadvantage.org/the-problem-with-schools-not-identifying-dyslexia/

5. Sofia 2 months ago

I 100% agree that schools are not doing enough to help students with learning disabilities, especially those with undiagnosed learning disabilities. It seems that if a student tends to be constantly distracted and disruptive, they are punished rather than observed and eventually helped. I’ve personally seen this at school. Teachers and administration at schools must learn how to be more patient with students and determine why they are behaving the way they are, rather than punishing them for disrupting class. Students with learning disabilities need to be surrounded by people with patience and kindness to help them adapt to learning with their disability.