It’s more than just a last name. It is a big part of what forms me. I do not mean as a person but my roots, my culture, my background, my family, my traditions…my legacy they all make me up. Most of the time when people hear my last name they do not only think about me but they also think about my parents, Adrian & Socorro, they think about my brothers, Christian & Jesus, and they also think about my whole family.                             

Having this last name to me it means a lot. I have so many positive and rarely any negative memories with it. I remember when my middle school history teacher would just called me by my last name because he said it was unique and I knew how to represent it just like my brother.

He would always be like “Maciel Carrillo” or “Carrillo how are you doing today?” I would never forget that. I don’t just respond and represent my first name but I also represent my middle and last names. They are all part of me and it makes me who I am.

People might say that it’s just a name but no, it’s just a name if you treat it as just a name, if you actually make a something good out of it you will end up with a legacy. Your name is your first impression verbally, with that people will automatically stereotype you in a good or bad way. They will instantly think something about you even if they do not know you.

This is why I treasure my last name because it has a history and legacy with it and I want to honor and carry that on. I want to be able to honor my family since they have been well respected for many years in Mexico. But not only that, I want to be able to make myself a name that represents who I am.

Not only do I carry a history with me because of my last name but I also have to be a good figure to the world and the people around me. I have to show that I am strong, independent, intelligent, and brave. I want to go to college and become a OB/GYN since no one in my family has done that before and show that I can make something good out of me. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 It’s more than just a last name by Jennifer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alison 7 months ago

Dear Jennifer,
    I loved your post about your last name ! I find it super interesting how you chose to write about your last name. I noticed you wrote ” Your name is your first impression verbally, with that people will automatically stereotype you in a good or bad way”. I thought that the way you included that into this post was such an intriguing point of view because I had not thought of it that way. I totally agree with you, this is the first instance in which someone associate’s your name with the thought of who you are as a person. Thank you for taking your time and writing this post, I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts!

2. Bobby 7 months ago

Jennifer,
    I am glad that you accept and honor what you have came from. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/09/19/the-importance-of-a-name/?utm_term=.c37c81db7e34 Just like others have said in this article, names are important to all of us and give us special identity. It is crucial we get respect for it. But why do you think people would not respect it? I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Bobby

3. Beth 7 months ago

Hi Jennifer!
    I loved your post. It was so personal and gave me an insight into your life and what makes you who you are. People put a lot of emphasis on the importance of a name, and it’s for good reason. When people talk about making a name out of yourself, they refer to the connotations your name carries based on how you represent it. Your last name ties you to your culture, your family, your story, your legacy. When you rep your last name well, you are bringing glory to your family name and doing it for not only yourself but the past and future generations, which carries great importance. Thank you for this post, I really enjoyed it.

4. Hailey 7 months ago

Hi Jennifer, very interesting topic. I love how unique your last name is and how proudly you wear it. I also have a last name very few people share so it is easily recognizable. As such, I understand what you mean when you say, “Not only do I carry a history with me because of my last name but I also have to be a good figure to the world and the people around me.” There are no truer words. Some people don’t think about the impact their decisions make on the world and their family due to their last name. If you would like to learn more on this topic, I suggest you take a look at this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/looking-in-the-cultural-mirror/201103/what-do-names-tell-us-part-ii-last-names. I look more from you on this topic in the future and wish you all the best!

5. Alex 7 months ago

Hi Jennifer,

I found your last name memoir to be very interesting. A person’s last name is something that a lot of people don’t realize is so important. It can say so much about a person in just one word or two. I especially enjoyed the part in your memoir where you talk about how you can decide how you see your last name and that you ca make it into a legacy.

6. Guadalupe 7 months ago

I can connect to last sentence of your memoir because it’s something I have to deal with everyday! I love your last name memoir!