Hearing my name Enrique Blanco, makes me have a vision of darkness, feeling the chills through my body knowing that someone is calling for my attention, something important that is needed from me, something serious going on, but people who call me by my name is because they don’t know me really well, or because they know calling me by my name is important and respectful.

I share ¨Chito¨ with my friends and peers, it is important because I want my peers and friends to call me by my nickname. It will show that my friends and peers know what to call me, whenever something is up and it is important they will call me by my name. When family, and loved ones say ¨Enrique¨ it gives me a  feeling of electricity going through my body trying to find that light bulb and give light in the dark, waking me up knowing that whenever Enrique makes poor choices, makes mistakes, the power and honor of having that name brings the best out of me and rise back up to show who I truly am.

Enrique Blanco it’s not just it, it’s a junior, it is the name of my father and I want to represent it well on who I am and what I am capable of. I see my name as being dark, but there is always a torch inside, a bright light with fire on it, that brings hope. Enrique Blanco Jr, it rises me up from the ground, breaking through all the darkness, but not without the light (JR) , like plants breaking through concrete to give life, but not without roots , and bring happiness to the ones around it. Hearing Enrique Blanco Jr did this, didn’t do that, feeling the ground trembling giving me signs that  I am doing things wrong. Feeling the honor, the relief, the excitement, the love, the success people were not able to visualize on what Enrique Blanco JR had and who he really is.

My name gives me the motivation that keeps me going, it inspires me to prove others wrong and represent the Junior. Having “Chito” on my side as if it were to be the right hand of Enrique Blanco JR and the success both have. Giving light to the dark, to shine up in the sky and be successful. Its if it were to be two people, one shining and one losing by believing that there is  darkness, therefore, there will always be light on both sides. There will always be light in the dark. That light will never go away, the torch of light will be passed onto the next, so wherever there is darkness, there will always be light.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Light In The Dark by Enrique is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tess 7 months ago

Enrique, this was a really lovely post. It was so fascinating to read about the significance of your name and the different meanings it has to you. I guess I’ve never really thought about how important names are and what they symbolize and represent. I also liked how you talked about nicknames, and the significance they hold as well. The different words you used to describe your emotions and the words you used to describe what it sounds like to hear your name being said were really vivid and insightful. Overall, I love your post. Here is an article I think you would find to be interesting: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/09/19/the-importance-of-a-name/?utm_term=.df881b54070e
    Tess

2. Eva 7 months ago

This line is so moving and eloquently written: “I see my name as being dark, but there is always a torch inside, a bright light with fire on it, that brings hope” … as is your title. Beautiful writing. You should be PROUD of this!

3. Vesna 7 months ago

I love you

4. Alberto 7 months ago

Dear Enrique/Chito
    I am inspired by your memoir The Light In The Dark because not only does it have motivating parts for people but it is a deep piece of work that is really good. This memoir was really detailed especially when you talked about receiving chills in your body when your name is called. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Enrique Blanco Jr, it rises me up from the ground, breaking through all the darkness, but not without the light (JR) , like plants breaking through concrete to give life, but not without roots , and bring happiness to the ones around it.” This stood out for me because it was really poetic and a strong piece of artwork, it was something I could relate to because I am the only child and I am also going to be the first in my family to go to college so the simile that you used made me realize that. Your memoir reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was having fun and being a kid and I ended up doing some things that were not right to do. My grandma opened the door to my room and I had painted my dog, so he came out walking all painted in red and I run outside. My mom just yells ALBERTO!! I was like oh damn its over. She looks at me and say what the hell Beto, I just looked at her and then they all laughed. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I found this memoir really inspiring and motivating that I expect more of your work to be the same or have the same kind of impact.

5. Victoria 7 months ago

Dear Enrique or ¨Chito¨,

I am really impressed by your post, ¨The Light In The Dark¨ because of how you expressed the meaning of what your names mean to you. One sentence that really stood out to me was, ¨Its if it were to be two people, one shining and one losing by believing that there is  darkness, therefore, there will always be light on both side¨(Blanco). I can really connect to this line because I have a nickname too and to me they are botha part of my identity and how I am. I think they are just just as important but the people closest to me call me Vicky. Another sentence that stood out to me was ¨Feeling the honor, the relief, the excitement, the love, the success people were not able to visualize on what Enrique Blanco JR had and who he really is¨(Blanco). The details you gave in your writing really show the importance of your name. To be honest, feelings about my names are something I myself have not really thought about but you brought a new light on that for me. I do agree that names are really important because they are your ¨title¨ in a sense. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I really loved this piece of writing. It shows your talent as a writing and also who you are as a person.

6. Jose 8 months ago

I like how you talk about your real name and your nickname and how they are different based on who is calling you that and how you feel like you are two people at the same time but they both are combined at the end of the day making one individual with different traits