Salvador Pedroza-Juarez is my name. All my other brothers don’t have the “Juarez” in their name. I like that I do because it ties me to my Mom’s and Dad’s family. Salvador is my name and it was given to me because my Dad wanted one of his children to inherit his name. I am very proud to have my Dad’s name because he’s my role model and I really look up to him. Also it is a coincidence that me and my Dad look very much alike, people tell me that I looked exactly like him when he was young.

Almost everybody gets a nickname one way or another, but for my name comes with a nickname. Usually a Salvador nickname is “Chava”, I don’t mind when people call me Chava. It started in middle school when people began to call me Chava, but I like it more when some people call me Salvador. It makes me feel better about who I am and why I was given the name that I was given. It is rare to hear people calling me Salvador besides some classmates and teachers that call me like that. Although I preferably feel better being called Salvador, there is a special side to why I also like being called Chava.

I think that my nickname has a much more complex meaning than my actual name. Everyone mostly calls me Chava, and I don’t mind when people do I think that it lets me know more about myself. Something that I have really gotten mad about is when I get confused with someone else because when I think about it I want to be recognized by my name. Not by someone else that I might look like. It is just something that has bothered me for a long time, and because of past experiences with my dad, in which he’s told me to always get recognized by myself not by other people. Since my dad is Chava too, everyone else in my house calls me Chavita. I had a really significant moment with my dad when I got called that way because he told me, “You are big, you are your own person, not because I’m here means that you’re small. You’re bigger than me and be recognized by who you are.” Something that really got me thinking about my true identity and the person that I am.

Now at the stage that I am in life, I still don’t fully know myself or my true identity because I am young. Though till now I have learned a lot of who I am, and people might not like the way I am and that is okay. As long as I know who I am and never change when I am around people, I always hope to be the same person, and furthermore throughout my life learn more about myself and who I am. People have played a big role in my life to help me determine my true identity and the way that I want to portray myself as a person.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Developing Identity Of My Life by Salvador is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Manuel Mercado 8 months ago

Dear Salvador,
    This was a very powerful post, you gave a lot of information about your name and where it came from and how important it is to you. Also because I like how you said also how your dad is your role model and you look up to him. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me was when you said, ” I had a really significant moment with my dad when I got called that way because he told me, “You are big, you are your own person, not because I’m here means that you’re small. You’re bigger than me and be recognized by who you are.” Something that really got me thinking about my true identity and the person that I am”. This stood out to me because this is strong this proves that you and your dad have a very good relationship and how close your guys are. Also it’s good that you enjoy the nicknames that people give you and they all have a meaning. Another sentence that i enjoyed reading was when you said. “I had a really significant moment with my dad when I got called that way because he told me, “You are big, you are your own person, not because I’m here means that you’re small. You’re bigger than me and be recognized by who you are.” Something that really got me thinking about my true identity and the person that I am”. This is really deep and real, you really are a really good writer and good with your words and its good that you will always be the same. I hope to read more of your post because they are really good and meaningful.

2. Xin 8 months ago

Dear Salvado

I like the way you show why is your name important and I like the way that you said the how does it connects to you and your family and why is this name important to you and your brother. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is Something that I have really gotten mad about is when I get confused with someone else because when I think about it I want to be recognized by my name. Not by someone else that I might look like. It is just something that has bothered me for a long time, and because of past experiences with my dad, in which he’s told me to always get recognized by myself not by other people. I think this is stand out to me the most is this quote because when I come to school at girls in US I don’t know how to spanks english so when they make nickname for me I don’t get what they were saying thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like the way shows your life and how did it affect you. There is a lot of thing that stand out to me.

3. Cristina 8 months ago

Dear Chavita,

I love this poem, it was beautiful and I hope you write more pieces because you’re good with your words.

4. Miguel 8 months ago

Salvador, I also have a positive relationship to my name but i don’t have a nickname like you. I really like how others inspire you to be the person that you are now.

5. Vesna 8 months ago

Dear Chava,
    This piece was really good. I liked the way that from the start you were compared to your dad but later found your own identity. Very well done Salvador. Let’s go to the field?