China

China is the name that I am called by my family and family friends. I have had this nickname for as long as I can remember,  it is like a rock I have carried my whole life. They call me China, because of my curly hair. My curly hair looks like ramen noodles and is that is what stands out about me when you first see me.

I am not called by “Lisseth”, my  real name, when it comes to my family and family friends. In most Latin cultures, families tend to give their children nicknames and call them by that nickname. That is the reason why I am always called by China and never as “Lisseth”

I value my nickname, because it’s something important to me and I feel happy about it.

I got used to always being called China, and now it feels strange when I am called by my real name. I feel a good harmony when I am called by nickname, it feels like when you listen to your favorite song. China is surrounded around laughter and joy. China came from my family that lives in L.A. China represents my curly hair which I got from my dad’s side of the family. I was the only one who got curly hair, my big sister didn’t.

China is the name I have heard being called by since I came out of my mom’s womb.

“Hola China” is what I hear every time a family friend is greeting me at a family party. I have a lot of nicknames, but the one that I personally connect to the most is China, because that is the nickname that I am called by the most and is the first nickname that I ever got.

My government name is “Lisseth”, but I will always be remembered as China. I have many unforgettable memories with my nickname. China is what represents my family and where I come from. China is what brings back those memories as a child and all those good times I’ve had. China is a part of me that will forever stick with me and remind me of who I really am. China was the name that was given to me from my family to stand out from others.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018 by Lisseth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emely 5 months ago

Hello Lisseth,
    I am glad you shared something that means a lot to you in your “Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018” because this is something that makes you unique in various ways. You mention that it makes you happy when people call you by your nickname.

One sentence that really stood out to me was “I am not called by “Lisseth”, my real name, when it comes to my family and family friends” I think it is very special because that shows that your name China is important not just to you but you close friends and family.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a good writer and you have a lot to share.

Emely

2. Khlood 5 months ago

Dear Lisseth,

I really enjoyed reading your name Memoir it was really powerful and interesting. I also loved the vibe you had with your name. The name china is  beautiful to. And don't worry I will be calling you China from now on I am now part of your family.

keep writing girly loved it 

sincerely, Khlood D

3. Yahaira 5 months ago

Dear Lisseth,

Thank you for writing about your nickname and letting us know more about it. I’m glad you have a positive relationship to your nickname because sometimes people are given nicknames that they don’t like. I can relate to having multiple nicknames because of my culture. I also have a positive connection with them, so that’s something we share in common.

Hope to see more of your writing.

Yahaira C