My Name

My Government name that my parents gave me is Arely Ursino A. , the only one besides my dad with an “S” on our last name. I got my name “Arely” of a novela that came out the year I was born, which my dad’s aunty used to watch. My name in a way in unique because i’ve only met like two other girls named like me but both have their name spelled different from mines. Having Arely as my name is a very loving relationship due to the fact that is unique but also negative because people not know how to pronounce or spell it which gets annoying.

Some people know me by Mermaid Leli which is my social media name. I decided to put that name to represent me because ever since I was a little girl I loved Mermaids. I used to love watching the novela “Ami la niña de la mochila azul” because a singer name Tatiana came out as a mermaid. As a little girl she was my favorite singer, so watching her on tv being a mermaid made me have an imagination where I wanted to be a mermaid too. Also the little mermaid Ariel movie was my favorite to watch. Something that kept me to like mermaids as I grew up are the symbolic mermaid meanings which some of them are, love, mystery, private, emotion, and feminist. These representation of a mermaid also represents me in a way because I am a loving person but also so private about my emotions. The word mystery is a way to explain my life because I seen my life as a mystery where i don’t know what is going to happen next I just go with the flow.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018 by Arely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Anthony 10 months ago

Dear Arely,
    I really enjoyed reading your name memoir. Something that I really enjoyed hearing was that outside factors help to determine your name, and it also shows how much meaning and history your name has behind it. For example, in your post, you say “ I got my name “Arely” of a novela that came out the year I was born, which my dad’s aunty used to watch” This is significant because it shows the history behind your name, and why it was chosen. Now, I don’t think this is the only reason you got your name, but, as stated, it was a main reason. ANother thing I really enjoyed about your post was, “Some people know me by Mermaid Leli which is my social media name. I decided to put that name to represent me because ever since I was a little girl I loved Mermaids”. This shows me that something that you loved since you were little still plays a big role in your current life. I can connect to this because, since I was little, I really liked cars, and anything on wheels. To this day, I still love cars, but in a more educated way. That has been a big part of my life, and it has grown to the point that it’s not just about cars anymore. More car related aspects have also become another thing I like, such as racing. But, back to the topic, mermaids can really have an affect on your life, whether positive or negative, I am not sure. I really liked this post, and I hope to read another one of your pieces.

2. Paola 10 months ago

Dear Arely

I really like your post “Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018,” because it’s interesting how your name came and what it means to you. Something that stood out to me was when you said “ Having Arely as my name is a very loving relationship due to the fact that is unique but also negative because people not know how to pronounce or spell it which gets annoying”. This stood out to me because I can connect to you because that happens to me with my name being Paola because they don’t know how to say it and it gets me annoyed but also is unique. Another sentence that amazed me was when you said “ I decided to put that name to represent me because ever since I was a little girl I loved Mermaids. I used to love watching the novela “Ami la niña de la mochila azul” because a singer name Tatiana came out as a mermaid.”This sentence amazed me because is so unique how you get your name from a novela and how you get to connect with mermaids and how then connect it with your name. .I love your post and encourage you to post more because I would love to see what else you have to write and is so cool how you connect with mermaids and then with social media.

Sincerely,Paola H

3. Rosario 10 months ago

Arely,
    I am amazed by your memoir, “Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018,” because you seem to have a big significance to your nickname. You connect to your nickname a lot than just being a simple social media name. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is: “These representation of a mermaid also represents me in a way because I am a loving person but also so private about my emotions.” This stood out to me because you evaluated the significance of a “mermaid” and connected back to how you are. A sentence I agreed with was, “Having Arely as my name is a very loving relationship due to the fact that is unique but also negative because people not know how to pronounce or spell it which gets annoying.” I was able to relate to this because some people that can roll their tongues can’t say the R’s in my name. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next!