“Me my Dad and Future I”

By Vicente Pena

As I sit here thinking on the relationship between me and my name I start thinking about my culture. Some are tied down by the unspoken rules or beliefs on how someone should be or act, not me. I am extremely proud to carry the name of my dad, Vicente Pena. Carrying his name does not mean I am cloaked by a shadow of his reputation. It means he chose me as the perdosesor and person to carry on his name. It fills my heart with pride the fact that my brother was the first born son yet, it was me, me the one he chose. Not a lot of people have my name but in my opinion thats a great thing because no one confuses me with anyone.

Vicente Pena, even the name itself might come off as a serious strong sounding name, perfectly fitted for a strong hardworking man. Me and my dad might have a lot of similarities but are unique in our way when it comes to presenting ourselves to the world. He’s responsible, intelligent, and conservative. Me as his son am determined, strategic, and social. Day by day as funny as it seems I look in the mirror see his reflection. The mustache and eyebrows, the staple in the Pena name. The naturally serious face might be intimidating but were funny people.

Occasionally i’m made fun of  by being called Vicente Fernandez, a musical genius in the genre of Mariachi. It’s actually pretty flattering because him being a famous singer in the mexican culture and me being so intuned with my mexican roots. My name and the Mexican culture relate to each other so much that listening to someone say my name is like I can already see myself in my ranch waking up to the cries of the roosters and my uncle feeding the animals. My ears start vibrating just thinking about the sound of strings bounce of fingernails and violins sing at the top of their lungs.

When I was little my dad always told me he wanted me to be better than him. For a long time I did not know what he was talking about. Now I realize that through the hard work he has put in to give me a future, the world’s my oyster. I want to be in the medical field and do all these great things but not for one second forget where I come from. Nurse on weekdays, mariachi on weekends. Every stroke of the bow across the violin will be a representation of the pride I have being from Jalisco.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018 by Vicente is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eva 2 months ago

Beautifully written –> “Carrying his name does not mean I am cloaked by a shadow of his reputation. It means he chose me as the perdosesor and person to carry on his name.” You are a talented writer, Vicente. Own that and USE it!

2. Anthony 2 months ago

Dear Vicente,
    I really liked how this post was stated. It is really strong and it makes me feel happy to see more people sharing really deep and personal stories. The more people share more of stories like these, the stronger that this community can become overall. Something that I really liked about your post is that you really, really relate to your culture all throughout this post. It makes your name feel that much stronger, knowing that it came from a very important place for not just you, but also for your family. An example of this would be, “Occasionally i’m made fun of by being called Vicente Fernandez, a musical genius in the genre of Mariachi. It’s actually pretty flattering because him being a famous singer in the mexican culture and me being so intuned with my mexican roots”. This phrase is extremely strong because you make a connection to your culture with a comment that was supposed to be, well, not nice. Another sentence that I liked was, “ When I was little my dad always told me he wanted me to be better than him. For a long time I did not know what he was talking about. Now I realize that through the hard work he has put in to give me a future, the world’s my oyster. I want to be in the medical field and do all these great things but not for one second forget where I come from. Nurse on weekdays, mariachi on weekends. Every stroke of the bow across the violin will be a representation of the pride I have being from Jalisco”. I find these sentences incredibly strong because 1) this is how you ended your post and 2) you state your plans for the future, what you plan to do, etc. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I know that you are willing to share your thoughts for the benefit of you and others.

3. Miguel 2 months ago

Vicente, I can also relate to your post because I was named after a family member that was pretty much a great inspiration. My name, like yours fills me with aspirations for the future. Great work.