I am an incarnation

Or at least I think my name is.

“Rosario” doesn’t just go back to my panicky parents,

Screaming at each other trying to figure out a name,

In the same hospital room

Where I just had been given birth to.

My name goes all the way back to my older brother.

All the way back to my parents going on a family trip.

Everytime I asked my mom,

Why my brother and I had the same name,

My mom recalled it a little like this…

“Everything started when the annual trip  to celebrate La Virgen Del Rosario in Talpa around March, was right around the corner. People would gather around a bus stop. That bus would take everyone over to Talpa for that day and come back all together.

Your dad, Alberto, suggested for us to go to Talpa to offer the health of our first child to the Virgen. I  agreed since at the time I was on my first trimester and I wanted everything to go good for my baby. This trip would also be our first trip out of the city together and I couldn’t be anymore exuberated.

We ended up going to Talpa on the Virgen’s special day. Your dad and I promised to her that we would name our first child after her as long as she took care of him or her.

This is how your brother was named, Rosario Alberto.”

Unfortunately my brother past away a little after his birth but they kept their promise to La Virgen.

My second brother, Carlos Alberto came a year after him,

But he did not take the name.

The first boy was already Rosario Alberto,

My parents did not want to name their second boy the same.

Four years later after my oldest brother,

Was me.

My parents took the opportunity that I was a girl to call me,

Rosario Berenice.

I never had a chance to meet my brother,

But I feel like I have a connection with him through our names.

We are a bond that can’t be broken.

I also will always remember the picture of him,

In a coffin for a one year old kid,

But still to little for him.

He was dressed in a brown franciscan brother clothing,

His lips as red and plumped as raspberries.

His pictures framed with a sunset background

And dolphins at the horizon of the sea.

I will always be honored to be named after him

Because I know,

He’s watching over me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018 by Rosario is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Karyme 5 months ago

Dear Rosario of Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018,
    ,
    I am honoring your post ¨Reflecting on the Significance of My Name in 2018¨ because Iḿ amazed by how fearful you are to write/share about your own personal life and your brother passing away and Iḿ sorry for your lost. I also love how you went to Talpa because I always go their when I go to Mexico to thank La Virgen for giving me another year. Not a lot of people go to ¨Talpa¨ or know where it is, I am amazed that you been there, itś so beautiful and I love the meaning of your name it’s really inspiring. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing is really thoughtful and inspiring and your post really grabbed my attention.

2. Grady 5 months ago

Dear Rosario,
    I am very impressed with your name memoir because it was a very interesting story to read about and I never knew your name was something so special to you and your family. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “I will always be honored to be named after him Because I know,He’s watching over me. This stood out to me because you have a connection with a bother you didn’t meet but still appreciate him and you feel like he is close to you. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you share about something special with your classmates etc.
    Grady

3. Nina 5 months ago

Dear Rosario,
    I never knew this about your name. It is great to read something new about a friend. I hope that you feel some empowerment in learning about yourself more. You learn something new everyday. What a beautiful piece.

4. Arely 5 months ago

Rosario,
    I am proud of your name memoir .
    You have a great introduction that explains what you are talking about. It really catches the readers attention to keep reading. One sentence you wrote thats stand out to me is, “I am an incarnation Or at least I think my name is.” I think this is powerful to your story because it relates to your whole story.
    Another sentence that i really liked was, ” I will always be honored to be named after him Because I know,He’s watching over me.” This stood out to me because it shows how you have a guarding angel that it watching over you.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you really own your stories.