My complete, full name is Lisette Aguilar Valencia.

My first name Lisette, was chosen by my father.

During my birth, I was born at just seven months, so since both my mother and I were going to die, my father had the responsibility to choose my name, but for some weird reason he named me after his ex girlfriend. Which is why I don’t like to identify myself as Lisette, I don’t feel close to it.

I feel like I don’t connect to it, due to it being my dad’s ex girlfriends name. That is why I much rather have people call me Lis. I just feel more connected when I am referred to as Lis, rather than Lisette.

I don’t feel like I’m disrespecting my real name since Lis, is the first three letters of my actual name. I just feel much better when I am called Lis. When people do call me by my actual name which is Lisette, I hate it, I don’t feel like that’s me, I just till this day do not feel close to it.

My suppose to be last name is Aguilar, which is my father’s last name.

But when my father was writing down my full name in my birth certificate he messed up once again and put his last name “Aguilar” as my middle name.

Mind you I barely found out two years ago that my suppose to be my last name was actually my middle name when I was going to go get my passport.

Although my last name is my middle name, thanks to my father I feel like I’m really close to that name, when I realized how big my family is. My dads family is huge so I am actually grateful, and do feel close to that name. I feel really close to this name because I´m always surrounded by this name.

I am very proud of have Aguilar as my middle name, although its suppose to be my last name.

My last name Valencia, which comes from my moms side.

I don´t ever refer to my last name as Valencia, just because I don’t relate to it. I´ve only met like one person from my moms side of the family.

Therefore I don’t feel like I can relate to this name, because I have no story to tell about it. At the end of the day the only name I really feel related to is my suppose to be last name that is really my middle Aguilar.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Name Meaning by Lis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer 7 months ago

Dear Lis,

I found your memoir really interesting and I could relate to you in some way.  I also have a name that I rather be called than me actual name. It’s pretty cool that you take names with meaning like your first name and your last name. A line that I really liked was “I don’t feel like I’m disrespecting my real name since Lis, is the first three letters of my actual name. I just feel much better when I am called Lis”. I really liked that line because I can relate to it because my name is Jennifer but I like to be called Jenny and I’m still using some of the letters from my original name for my nickname. Another line that I also really liked was “I don´t ever refer to my last name as Valencia, just because I don’t relate to it. I´ve only met like one person from my moms side of the family”. I also never met the anyone from my mom’s side even though I have met my dad’s side but only one so I understand how to feels to not have any memories with the rest of your family. I can’t wait to see what you write next!

Sincerely, Jennifer

2. Guadalupe 7 months ago

Dear Lis,
    I am surprised with your post. I am thankful that you share how you actually feel about your name. All of your post stands out to me because it is really interesting. I think your writing is great. Your post made me think of what my name means to me. Now you got me thinking of what my name really means to me. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
    Guadalupe

3. Andrea 7 months ago

Hi, I loved reading your post and learning about your relationship to your name. We both have similarities when it comes to talking about our last names.

4. Yahaira 7 months ago

Hi Lis,
    Thank you for sharing your work with us. I appreciate the strength you had to write something personal that you don’t have a positive relationship to. Life doesn’t always result the way we would like to, but we just have 4o live with it. I’m glad that you found a name that you can actually connect to.

Hope to see more of your work soon!

Yahaira