Five letters are put together

Those five letter build up the name Oscar.

That’s me, that’s the name my parents came up with and gave me at birth.

I was unique for having that name in every school I went to.

This is because I was the only Oscar in every school I attended.

I never thought hard as a rock

To find out what my name meant exactly until I searched it up.

I didn’t really find a meaning but instead something that matches my personality.

Which was being shy, quiet, and cooperative, which is what I believe defines me.

Being shy as a mole hiding in its hole was very unfortunate in my past years.

I decided to make a change and be as loud as a horn.

It worked, and I’m not as shy as before.

Antonio is my second given name, which can be short for Tony.

I actually similarly share the name with my mom. Her name is Antonia, just that mines switches from an A to an O at the end.

Growing up, I didn’t really share out my second name, this was because I didn’t really like it.

I actually wanted a name change for Antonio, only because of the way it was written.

I would constantly ask my mom why she chose it.

Growing up I understood to love my middle name as I love soccer.

To this day, I appreciate my mom for giving me that name, to me it shows that my mom and dad actually put thought & effort into the names they gave me.

Hernandez-Ortega are my last names.

I find it cool how my two last names are shown.

One of them comes from my mom and the other from my dad.

The hyphen makes it even cooler, because it stands out the most than other last names.

My soccer journey was a way for me to show off my name and how I portrayed it.

I would carry my last names in the back of my jerseys.

When I’d score, people would see who scored that goal.

Another piece of joy was the medals I’d receive when winning important tournaments.

The medal would shine as bright as my full name.

Pretty much Oscar Antonio Hernandez-Ortega portrayed an image of good conduct and a good image towards others when hearing my name.

To this day, my name has never been involved with anything bad and I will keep it that way.

The last name Hernandez comes from my dad.

Even though the last name Hernandez is common, there is famous people that carry that last name, and that makes me proud.

Ortega, comes from my mom, which I believe is common too.

Overall, I thank both of my parents for giving me these names that I can carry throughout my life journey because I am able to show off those two last names to the people I meet and show them that the Hernandez-Ortega family are as strong as an ox.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Do We Own And Tell Our Own Story, Starting With Our Name? by Oscar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paola 5 months ago

Dear Oscar

I’m so amazed on what you wrote and capable on saying what your full name means to you. And i just like how you connect your name with your parents and soccer and what it means. Something that stood up to me was when you said “I was unique for having that name in every school I went to”. I can connect with you because i’ve never had someone named like me and it makes it feel more unique and can be yourself. Another thing that i liked about your post was when you said “ Which was being shy, quiet, and cooperative, which is what I believe defines me.Being shy as a mole hiding in its hole was very unfortunate in my past years.I decided to make a change and be as loud as a horn.It worked, and I’m not as shy as before”. I liked this one because as your sister I can see that you’re not shy and you a good brother and you have overcome being shy now you have learn to make changes to be successful.I love your post and encourage you to post more because I would love to see what else you have to write

Sincerely,Paola H