Behind those Letters   

Joanna Castillo Gutierrez… yes that’s me my parents story on naming me basic. My name has many meanings in the world of google. Yes my name might not be as cool as I would like it to be but my own meaning is what stands out to me. To me my name means powerful because I can become the person I am and also my name represents the person I am. Yes google says my name means a gift from god, but I never thought that was it I wanted my name to have a meaning that was connected to me or what it made me become now. As you grow up you really don’t think about your name, like me really this made me look into the reason why have my parents given me this name. I asked both of my parents they said,“ since we didn’t know if we were going to have more kids I went for what my heart told me to name you.” So then that’s how my parents agreed. Yes a name might not mean nothing or at least to me but when going through this writing process I learned that my name is powerful, and outstanding because they don’t put your definition on you do it yourself. My name can be as boring as a book but the bright side is that you know that behind your name there is more meaning than what google gives you. You are the person who create your own meaning not the people around you.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Behind those Letters by Joanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maggie 7 months ago

Joanna,
    I really like this post. Our names are very important us. Oddly enough, I think about my name a lot. My real name is Magalin. Ever since I was little I have been called Maggie, so it makes me wonder that if I went by Magalin would I be different than I am today? Your poem made me think a lot my name. What if I was named something different? Would I be different. I personally think that we grow with our name so I would be different. Great Post!
    Maggie

2. Parker 7 months ago

Joanna,
    I really liked your post. Sometimes we don’t really think about the significance of our names, so it was nice how you took the time to reflect on what your name meant to you and also your parents. It was meaningful when you talked about why your parents gave you your name and how it means “a gift from God.” Like you said, you are the person representing your name and it is up to you on how you do that. You define who you are and what your name means. Nice job.

3. Natalie 7 months ago

Dear Joanna,

Thank you for sharing this about your name and what it means to you because only you can decide what your name means, you give it meaning. It is a very powerful way to express yourself and how you explained yourself was very profound. My name also has to do with god, gods birthday, but I don’t really think that connects to me in anyway so it’s up to me to write my story behind my name because only I can give it meaning. A line that really stood out to me was ”My name can be as boring as a book but the bright side is that you know that behind your name there is more meaning than what google gives you.” That line really stood out to me because it’s true, I really agree with that. Google can´t just define what your name means, we are the author, we are the illustrators of our name, only us. Thank you for sharing this, I hope you keep on writing, it’s a good way to express yourself.

Natalie

4. kadijah.y 7 months ago

Dear Joanna,
    Your poem says a lot about you and how you are as a person, and i like how mentioned that your name may be “boring” but you are still confident in representing your name and i appreciate that about you sharing that.

5. Itzel 7 months ago

Dear Joanna,

I really like your poem “Behind those letters” its a really Nice peace. You really try to explain what you want to say in your memoir and I really like how you ended your poem with ” You are the person[…]not the people around you”