Yahaira Sarahi Celis Garcia

That is what I was registered as at birth.

Yahaira, that is what most people call me.

A random name that my mother chose

But that I cherish.

And that is what matters.

Even though people disarrange the spelling,

It doesn’t bother me.

But then again, I ask myself,

“How can they misspell it..is it really that hard?”

It is not Jahaira

Or Yajaira

Or Yahira.

My middle name, Sarahi is also misspell most of the time.

Most people spell it without the H.

My name has the H and I proudly write it.

Both, my first and middle names have a variety of spellings.

I like my spelling because it is unique.

We are both unique.

And that uniqueness demonstrates my challenging life.

I simply see myself through the eyes of my names because they are different from the rest.

Celis was given from my dad.

I don’t talk to any of his hatred family.

Because they don’t even like me.

They are like snakes, trying to throw their venom.

Either way, it is not like I need them.

I have been able to live my life to the fullest, enjoying every little moment without them.

Even though I don’t talk to his family, we are still family and that can’t be change.

We are all connected like a spider web.

After all, I am thankful for him.

He has made me realize that those closer to you won’t always be there for you.

You have to learn to do stuff on your own like a baby.

Lastly, one of the most common Mexican last names, Garcia.

I inherited Garcia from my beautiful mother and grandma.

I also hope to inherit their power, hardwork, and determination.

My mom has worked,

really hard,

since age six to be able to help her huge family.

After all the obstacles she has been through,

she manages to keep a smile in her face

and help others without expecting anything in return.

My grandma has had challenging situations with her health.

However, she has been as strong as a lion and has overcome everything.

Garcia for me is a close family that;

helps,

supports,

and gives the hand

to every individual.

Once again, Yahaira,

A person that knows what she is capable of doing and will keep shooting for more success.

A person that is willing to help others and appreciates friendship even if many others don’t. Yahaira Sarahi Celis Garcia, the name that will follow me everywhere I go.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Random Choice by Yahaira is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Guadalupe 2 months ago

Dear Yahaira,
    I am surprised by your post because you truly explain who you are because of your name. I like all of your post. I enjoyed reading it. Your post got me thinking about what my name means to me and why my parents decided to name me like this. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

2. Grady 2 months ago

Dear Yahaira,
    I am impressed by your name memoir because you are very detailed on why exactly you are proud of having your name. You also talk about your dads part of the family and you can be strong and happy without them but family still means a lot to you. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was when you said, “ Lastly, one of the most common Mexican last names,Garcia.I inherited Garcia from my beautiful mother and grandma.I also hope to inherit their power, hardwork, and determination.My mom has worked,really hard,since age six to be able to help her huge family.After all the obstacles she has been through,she manages to keep a smile in her face”. This stood out to me because I can relate to my mom always working hard and always keeping a smile on her face. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your writing is interesting.
    Grady

3. Jocelin 2 months ago

Good job ! 😛

4. Lis 2 months ago

Hey partner,
    Thanks for sharing your story about your name. Good job, on expressing your name very well even though it is a “random chosen name”, you bring the real meaning to it. Really love this memoir. Write more, cause I enjoy reading pieces by you.