C-R-I-S-T-I-N-A

It does not define me,

The name is fine but it isn’t who I seek to be

Now here I am wondering and thinking…

Why do I not find the beauty in the name I bleed?

The same name my abuelita has,

Shouldn’t I be proud to have the exact name that she has?

She is strong like me

Brown like me

Crazy like me

But as I truly understand,

She isn’t me

This name is always with me

It was there when I was 7  and got lost at the mall

thankfully they used it to call my mom,

This name has given me identification

As the cops ran my name through the system to see if I faked it,

But at the same time

It has become my enemy…

The struggle of my name is that I don’t use it

Everyday, different person is another me,

I’m telling her my name is THIS,

I’m telling him that my name it THAT

But in reality I just sound like a brat,

The battle of having two names

One being the first

And the other acting as the first as well,

because some call me Gaby,

Some even call me Cris

I suppose this doesn’t make sense  

“Ignorance is bliss”

Well damn,

No one

Not even I,

Knows who I truly am

The conflict of my name

has affected my identity,

Why is it that I don’t understand

And can’t get over it with a remedy?

This name has brought me pain,

The type of pain that you can’t explain

Because this pain has only been felt by me

And not the other thousands with the name like me,

As my family constantly reminds me,

“Love your name, it is yours”

Well I’ve tried

But I can’t,

They say that this name is mine

It might but,

They aren’t necessarily right

I know my mother loves this name

And I hate to see her sad as I complain,

C-R-I-S-T-I-N-A

I didn’t choose my name

But that doesn’t mean that I

Cristina,

Can’t choose to be who I wish to be

My 8 letters only identify a piece of me,

Never the full me

It’s my decision

To speak upon my name and identity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 8 Letters by Cristina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jose 2 months ago

Dear Cristina,

I was impressed with your name memoir. The way you write about how you feel about your name lets me know a lot. Something that stood out to me was “My 8 letters only identify a piece of me, Never the full me” this let me know that just because someone knows your name knows you a little bit does not mean that they really know you. Your work was amazing, really good keep up the great work.

2. Eva 2 months ago

You are a remarkably talented poet! I hope that you continue to write outside of this class, because you TRULY have a gift! 🙂

Love these lines:
    “She is strong like me
    Brown like me
    Crazy like me
    But as I truly understand,
    She isn’t me”

3. Kamyiah 2 months ago

Dear Gaby/Cristina,
    I am filled with shock by your work. It was so powerful and just so moving. It made me question so many things as well. Your work left me thinking and that shows how much of an affect it leaves honestly. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me was, “It does not define me, The name is fine but it isn’t who I seek to be” I think this sentence is such an amazing hook. This sentence brings up so many topics and I just loved it. Another sentence that I felt was also amazing was, “This name has brought me pain, The type of pain that you can’t explain, Because this pain has only been felt by me”. I felt that this was so true. Many other people have pain and for the people that try to understand that won’t because they aren’t you and they just can’t. I thought it was cool that you brought this up. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your work is honestly so amazing. It has this sort of flow you could say I “vibe” with. I really appreciated getting to read your work because again it’s amazing. If you’d like please reply.

4. Reagan 2 months ago

Cristina,

I thought your poem was incredibly honest. I have not come across too many posts that delve so deeply into personal issues such as your poem. Your writing was so honest and true that it had me thinking about my own name and what I have had to bear with it. If you decide to change your mind about your name, which has been truly blessed upon you, ere is a lovely little poem I found that might make you think differently. It is short, but it is powerful. https://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/8856.html

5. Nina 2 months ago

Dear Cristina,

Your name poem was honestly so beautiful. I Love how you think so deeply about the meaning of your name. You describe where your name comes from and how it affects you. I want to push you further to think about what your name would be if it weren’t Cristina. Who are you really? I like that we have completely different perspectives on our names, but still wrote powerful poems about them.