I recently found a very interesting article by NBC news that relates to my research topic of how social media is affecting/correlated to a rise in teen suicide. In this article, there were many interesting and compelling points that were brought to the surface, as long as personal examples and experiences of teen suicide, cyber bullying, and more.

In this article by Elizabeth Chuck, a personal story of a young girl named Sadie Riggs. Sadies aunt shared the story, since Sadie lived with her at the time. To summarize the story, Sadie was extremely cyber bullied on just about every social media platform available to teens at the time. She was bullied about her red hair, and kids would tell her that only devils had red hair. As time went on, the bullying got worse, and Sadie couldn’t handle it anymore. She ended her life.

The story is absolutely heartbreaking. However, it brings social media and its negative effects to the attention of the people. This is not okay. Kids are not anonymous because they bully through social media platforms and screens instead of face to face. Social media is very harmful, and it is only going to continue to get more powerful and consequential.

My annotations:

https://via.hypothes.is/https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/social-media-contributing-rising-teen-suicide-rate-n812426

Chuck, Elizabeth. “Is Social Media Contributing to Rising Teen Suicide Rate?” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 22 Oct. 2017, www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/social-media-contributing-rising-teen-suicide-rate-n812426

CC BY-SA 4.0 Social Media & Suicide? by Ellie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.