The further society advances, the further it leaves behind those who cannot keep up. Mental disabilities are arguably the most prevalent problems in our society, they affect everyone, personally or personally.  With the declining amount of health care for those with less money, different people are getting less and less opportunities of health checks, and are becoming more prone to these problems. Especially in youth, when brains are still developing, these issues are incredibly important and need to be treated, or at the very least addressed. Most teenagers and young adults know someone who has taken their own life, and this is the leading cause of death in teenagers in several states. There is a lack of health providers willing and able to help these people, and health facilities should be within a safe distance of reach for all people,  despite any discrimination or any unhealthy stereotypes that may be involved.

While healthcare is still an issue, there are many other things that contribute to the lack of care that certain people receive. Different cultures and their beliefs at times can prohibit care from being taken. Some believe that diseases can be a punishment of sorts, or even don’t believe that modern medicine works, which differs from culture to culture and group to group. According to some, disease can be caused by human beings with potent powers, by supernatural forces, or by accidents, excesses or deficiencies. So when these people need to get help from modern medicines, they can often avoid these cares, due to beliefs or practices, and in turn get incredibly ill or become prone to prolonged suffering.

There can also be no discrepancy between the quality of care between different races, genders, or groups. The quality needs to be consistent, for all peoples, and cannot fluctuate because of discrimination.  First, the relationship between physician and patient, in which the biases of the staff and the services can come into play, leading to differences in the quality of care within the same health service providers. Second, the training and size of the professional team and the availability and use of technology, in addition to the health model employed by the health team: practices geared to disease prevention and health promotion (or the lack thereof) lead to differences in health indicators. These differences are very instrumental in the equality.

Research shows that mortality rates are higher for the poor than for the rich at all ages. The differential is particularly high during infancy and childhood. Segregation relegates certain segments of the population to neighbourhoods with fewer resources, poorer services and a degraded human and physical environment. Populations subjected to discrimination are more likely than others to inhabit areas affected by environmental pollution and degradation, and are more likely to be negatively affected by lifestyle factors such as diet, substance abuse (tobacco, alcohol, and drugs), and social behaviour (violence and accidents). The educational situation has an impact not only in terms of the limits it imposes on equitable access to the job market and the perpetuation of poverty but also of its consequences for health. Studies show that the mother’s education is an important factor in family health care (births in an institutional setting, medical check-ups, etc.).

It is no coincidence that the idea to establish a world health organization emerged from the same process that identified the universal value of human rights. WHO’s  (World Health Organisation’s) mandate is also universal. Their constitution states that “the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the fundamental rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mental Health by Lexi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.