,

This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to go to Thailand, and teach to villagers the advantages to living and practicing a healthy life style. While there I mostly taught about oral hygiene, but as a group we talked about feminine hygiene, and how they deal with periods. A lot of the women there use pads as their main source of protection during their periods, but they are bulky, reusable, and fit like a diaper making it uncomfortable and noticeable to people around you what time of the month it is. There were no tampons in stores, and if you were lucky enough to find them, they were very expensive, and there were no applicators to make them easier to use. This started to make me curious about what it was like for other women around the world during this week every month.

According to Women’s Health Magazine people living in Afghanistan avoid using proper hygiene techniques because they are told it leads to infertility, and charge up to $4 for a singular pad. But many girls use strips of clothing instead to try and hide it from their families. While others living in Bolivia, can be found with many used pads in their backpacks, because they are told menstrual blood is so dangerous it can cause diseases like cancer if mixed with other trashes. Also in Kenya having menstrual products is a luxury to the women in their country, and is often looked down upon by the male figures. Because of this women resort to using leaves and sticks to absorb the blood, but many still miss an average of 4.9 school/work days every month because their periods.

No doubt, I have it very easy in America when it comes to finding tampons, and pads in stores, but the costs and stigmas are still affecting many girls throughout the United States. According to ABC News many girls are embarrassed of the sounds made from hygiene products, so they avoid using them at school or in public, and many citizens and international women said they didn’t know what menstruation was until their first period came, and when they got it they felt scared that they were sick or that something was wrong with them. When it is complete opposite. Women are supposed to have periods every month, in order to have reproduction. This stigma needs to end about menstrual health, and I think we need to start taking a stand when it comes to proper hygiene and care for women internationally. We were born this way, and without us women in the world there would be no natural way of creating more people in our world. Stand up for women rights in our world, we are humans too.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stigmas with Menstruation by Caleigh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nyasa 1 week ago

Dear Caleigh:

I am extremely intrigued by your article, “Stigmas with Menstruation,” because… it was so interesting for me to find out today how women in other countries in the world have to deal with periods. I live in America as well, so to see how women have it so hard in foreign countries is so shocking to me. The fact that women can’t afford products or don’t even know about them sometimes is so cruel for them.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: women “living in Bolivia can be found with many used pads in their backpacks, because they are told menstrual blood is so dangerous it can cause diseases like cancer if mixed with other trashes.” I think this particular sentence was interesting for me because from when they’re young to about adults, women learn that periods are wrong, disgusting and a sin. So, when I found out women in Bolivia have to hide their pads, used too, just because it can be “harmful” as a spread of diseases, that’s what actually disgusting.
    Another sentence that I thought was cool was: “they are told it leads to infertility, and charge up to $4 for a singular pad.” This stood out for me because women are told incorrect information for the longest time just because their families don’t want them to know what a period actually is, also to make sure they don’t disclose anything to the public.
    I completely agree with you that women have it so hard in many countries, and people need to fight to get equal right for women, because they deserve so much better. One reason I say this is is because women are the ones who reproduce, so periods and the knowledge of periods are necessary for everyone.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this topic interested me so much. The way you talk about women’s periods and why they deserve equal rights is so inspiring. Thanks for writing this!

Furthermore, I have a blog that talks about everything period related. From the horrible luxury tax on them, to period poverty, etc. I would love it if you would check it out and support our campaign!
    -> https://luxurytaxaintit.wordpress.com/

2. Jada 1 week ago

Dear Caleigh,

I am interested in, your post because stigma on periods is something that I also believe is a serious issue in society.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “many girls are embarrassed of the sounds made from hygiene products, so they avoid using them at school or in public, and many citizens and international women said they didn’t know what menstruation was until their first period came, and when they got it they felt scared that they were sick or that something was wrong with them. ” I think this is interesting, because it discusses the real life stigma that women in everyday life feel as a result of something that is a natural part of their body.

Your post reminds me of my own blog posts on word press where I also discuss the stigma on periods and the tampon tax. I feel that that this is not a topic that is discussed enough in society and as a result, women have to suffer.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you seem very invested in your writing. Your voice speaks to people and informs them of important issues in society. It is not just filled with factual informations, but also connects with the reader on a personal level. I really like the topic you chose and how you executed your presentation of it. If you or anyone else would like to hear more about this topic and try to make a difference visit my blog post at:

https://wordpress.com/posts/my/luxurytaxaintit.wordpress.com

3. Karishma 1 week ago

Dear Caleigh,
    I am happy to read your post “Stigmas with Menstruation” because I think it is a very good idea that you are bringing awareness to this issue. Menstrual products such as tampons and pads are becoming less and less affordable which is very unfair for women. Women should not have to worry about the price of their period. Instead, they should have to worry about taking care of themselves.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We were born this way, and without us women in the world there would be no natural way of creating more people in our world.” I think this is very interesting because it is exactly what people need to see. It is the truth and it shouldn’t be dismissed as it is.

Another sentence that I liked was: “This stigma needs to end about menstrual health, and I think we need to start taking a stand when it comes to proper hygiene and care for women internationally.” This stood out for me because it draws attention to the idea that menstrual health is very important and it needs to be acknowledged.

I agree with you that we must raise awareness for menstrual hygiene. One reason I say this is because it would good for the well-being of women. Another reason I agree with you is that you clearly show that you want to make a change and to help raise awareness about female hygiene.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I definitely support what you are fighting for. I believe that menstrual hygiene is very important and we must continue fighting to help menstrual products become more affordable.

In addition, my friends and I have a blog called “Luxury Tax Ain’t It.” On this website, we are trying to remove the sales tax from menstrual products. We hope you visit our website!
    Here is the link: https://luxurytaxaintit.wordpress.com