What is the Importance of the Affordable Care Act?

On March 23, 2010 President Barack Obama said, <a href="http://Debt.org, www.debt.org/medical/obamacare/.">“We did not fear our future, we shaped it.”</a> On this monumental day, the affordable care act or ‘Obamacare’ was put into effect. Following a nearly two year battle,President Obama along with other house members fought tirelessly for the approval of the new plan. After the announcement of the new healthcare, the Obama Administration faced numerous opposing opinions. With <a href="http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/news/2012/07/12/11843/update-how-obamacare-is-benefiting-americans/.">plans</a> to “increase the number of Americans covered by health insurance, streamline the delivery of healthcare services, and reduce the overall costs of healthcare for everyone by restricting certain insurance company practices and providing tax credits and subsidies for individuals and businesses” it was no wonder the new plan received backlash. The new healthcare plan seemed unfathomable. 

One day before the approval of the Affordable Care Act, a CNN poll found that 59 percent of Americans opposed ObamaCare. Underlying this statistic, it was also found that “62 percent say the amount they pay for medical care will increase, 47 percent think they’ll be worse off when it becomes law, 70 percent believe the federal budget deficit will go up — contrary to repeated claims from Democrats, 56 percent view Obamacare as creating too much government involvement in health care”.
Contrary to certain opinions, Obamacare proved to hold a positive impact upon American Society. Two years after its initial approval the Affordable Care Act successfully managed to insure millions of Americans who otherwise would not have the opportunity. The act not only allowed lower income residents access to healthcare, but it also guaranteed individuals under the age of twenty-six to remain on their parents insurance plan. Meaning that nearly 6.6 million young adults, 1.3 million of which are minorities, had accessible insurance, despite their incapability of finding a job during/after schooling. Not only were these individuals able to have secure healthcare, 73 percent of them actually helped their family benefit from their dependent status.
In addition to helping young adults, Obamacare proved to be extremely beneficial for those living with pre-existing conditions (Asthma, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Previous Injuries, Cancer). Under the Affordable Care Act insurance companies are prohibited “from charging higher premiums, limiting benefits, or denying coverage to those who need it.” To put it simply, the Affordable Care Act does not allow any insurance company to deny an individual because they are “expensive”. With Obamacare the healthcare industry is required to look at individuals with pre-existing conditions as people rather than investments. For example, the average Type 1 Diabetic would pay approximately $30,200 annually without the aid of the Affordable Care Act. However, due to the tangibility of Obamacare a person living with Type 1 Diabetes will pay the average subsidized cost of $9,800.
As the American people enter their eighth year under the Affordable Care Act, the present reform of healthcare proves to be ever beneficial. While aiding those with pre-existing conditions, the elderly, children, minorities, and the overall American population, the Affordable Care Act serves as a reminder of the multitude of financial and health security that is available throughout the United States. As Barack Obama said, “After a century of striving, after a year of debate, after a historic vote, health care reform is no longer an unmet promise. It is the law of the land.” Affordable healthcare shouldn’t be just a privilege, but a right. With this act, it allows for much easier access to healthcare that sustains a genuinely sufficient quality of life. Obama assures that this truly is more than just a promise that could possibly be broken, but rather a guaranteed truth.

Hypothesis annotations
hypothesis annotations

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is the Importance of the Affordable Care Act? by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.