In many stages of our lives, we may either see a person or a group of individuals as attractive and this attractiveness may lead people to act like or conglomerate to a person or crowd. Every single person has insight and wondrous attributes that can change the world collectively in a positive way. However, the notion of fitting in, also referred to herd behavior, limits the minds potential to become open and wondrous in the way it is supposed to be. This nature of individuality is subtle to most individuals seeking acceptance and acknowledgement by other people. Their mind is not aware of the influence they hold to change the lives of others and themselves. “People don’t realize how much influence they have. If they knew how strongly their words and actions affect other people, they would have a lot more confidence.” -Liz Ryan.

I am very fascinated by the emotional and mental side when someone try’s to fit in with an individual or a group. The attitude we fall into when we try to conform to groups of people can change the way we think and perceive ourselves and others. An aspect that is huge in the discussion of fitting in is the acceptance many desperately crave by others. This cry for acceptance in life can lead many to hide their true self or to blind themselves from their own worth. “The truth is: Belonging starts with self-acceptance. Your level of belonging, in fact, can never be greater than your level of self-acceptance, because believing that you’re enough is what gives you the courage to be authentic, vulnerable and imperfect. When we don’t have that, we shape-shift and turn into chameleons; we hustle for the worthiness we already possess.” -Brené Brown, PhD, LMSW.

Stepping outside the boundaries of fitting in to show the true meaning of your human person, is clarifying to yourself and even to the friends around you. I believe that we need to occasionally step back and look at each situation in our lives no matter what event is going on, so that we can better understand our meaning and worth amongst others. Having to opportunity to self-examine our desires to fit in, may give us insight to who we really are and what we plan to achieve in situations we feel the need to force ourselves into.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fitting in. by Judge Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 8 months ago

Thomas,

I really liked your post about fitting in. I especially liked the featured image of the one black sheep in the herd of all the white sheep. I think that your post was very well written, and that it makes a great topic for your research paper. Here is a website for you to check out if you feel like it: https://www.simplypsychology.org/conformity.html It is interesting and has to do with your post. Thank you so much for sharing this, and I hope to hear more about this topic from you!

Thank you,
    Sophia Gross

2. Erica 8 months ago

Thomas,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I found your post interesting because it shed new light on fitting in and having a herd mentality. I found it intriguing when you said “However, the notion of fitting in, also referred to herd behavior, limits the mind’s potential to become open and wondrous in the way it is supposed to be. This nature of individuality is subtle to most individuals seeking acceptance and acknowledgement by other people.” I also think you would find this article (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/201310/stop-trying-fit-in-aim-belong-instead) interesting. It is about belonging instead of trying to fit in. I look forward to reading more of your posts on this subject in the future because it allows me to see a new perspective.