After reading the first three chapters of Victor Rios’ Street Life, I feel ambitious about the events he is telling his audience. In looking at the imagery he uses to tell his story, I noticed that he uses visual, auditory, and kinesthetic in the first three chapters of his autobiography.

The first type of sensory detail I want to focus on is visual imagery. In chapter 1, Victor Rios had finished giving his speech in front of the Los Angeles Convention Center and started talking a little bit about his childhood. The sensory detail that follows is ”I am supposed to be out on the streets of Oakland, California, shooting up heroin or snorting meth with some of the guys I grew up with, who are stealing and robbing to get high”(Rios,3). The effect this has is to show that the drugs he was exposed to and his friends that he hung around those were the only options he had based on his community.

The second type of sensory detail I want to focus on is auditory imagery. In chapter 1, Victor Rios was finishing up the speech that he was giving. The sensory detail that follows is ”Entire rows of people begin to stand. Suddenly, like fans celebrating a home run at an L.A. Dodgers game, the entire audience is on their feet! A standing ovation!”(Rios, 2). The effect this has is to imply how welcomed he felt and how he had a sense of belonging.  

The third type of sensory detail I want to focus on is kinesthetic imagery. In chapter 2, Victor Rios was describing what his mother went through when she was 13 years old in Mexico City. The sensory detail that follows is ”…hit him in the head with a steel rebar. The guy fell on the ground; my mother’s cousin grabbed the man’s pistol and unloaded the entire clip into him”(Rios,6). The effect this has is that the author wants to show how angry the cousin was by getting revenge on the abuser and making him pay for what he did. The author feels like the abuser got what he deserved.

Overall, Dr. Victor Rios wants me to understand that not to be ashamed of your past because your past can always change what your future is going to look like. Also, Victor wanted us to realize what his mom went through when she was in Mexico City while she was in her teens. Finally, the author explained what his mother went through trying to abort him in prison.

CC BY-SA 4.0 WHAT A ROUGH THING TO HAPPEN!!! by Jose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. kayden 1 month ago

Jose,

Thank you for sharing your post. I thought it was really interesting. From your post I can tell you have a good understanding of the book. The way you put the quotes in your writing piece made it flow really well. From them I found a little bit of understanding of the book even though I have not read it. Thank you for you post.