As shown throughout this book, Orwell uses the Marxist lens to display the paranoia and anxiety Winston had while working. Therefore the thought police had an advantage and the ability to overhear and spy on the local people. Which meant the local people were disadvantaged compared to the government due to their privacy being exposed. Winston was at home in the darkness where he felt safe as long as he was quiet, and not making noise in front of the telescreen, so he was thinking continuously in bed about the girl. In page 109, according to Winston, he said: “Only five nights ago he had contemplated smashing her skull in with a cobblestone…”(Orwell, 109) Orwell’s attitude is to reveal the domain and the how Winston’s mind is when seeing a woman sexually appealing. The message to the audience is that he is trying to portray Winston’s feelings because of the Gov’t and how they persuade false consciousness throughout the Oceanic City to not like the opposite sex and to abolish it by removing memories and creating lies within that government. It evokes the reader’s attention to focus on his intentions of hatred towards the girl, and the government is restraining the proletariats knowledge and emotions to benefit the big brother from their unawareness and the government’s crude motives ruling this city.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “Everyone” is watching you… by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ravi 8 months ago

Kevin,

1984 was an interesting read indeed. I enjoyed reading your post about how the government creates fake conscious and how citizens are hiding from their own thoughts and feelings. It really does make someone think about how this came about and how this can be true in today day; as people hid from their own emotions because its easier to trick yourself than to submit to disturbing thoughts you have.

2. Lindsay 8 months ago

Great post! I also thought that the anxiety that Winston feels really stands out. Orwell describes it in a way where we can understand Winston’s point of view, and see how difficult it would be for him to escape the situation. I think “paranoia” is a great word choice to describe what he was feeling throughout his whole life. I also liked you title a lot, it is what drew me to your article.

3. Eric 8 months ago

Kevin,

Orwell’s 1984 is definitely an incredible book, on many levels. Your post on the emotions the protagonist, Winston, goes through is certainly a fascinating take on his message. The idea of instantiating a “false consciousness” throughout the citizens of Oceania had not occurred to me before, so thanks!
    Eric
    —————-big book spoilers ahead, so please don’t progress until you’ve finished it!————————————

I would like to recommend you look into the mechanics of how Winston is captured. Do you believe he was ever truly free from Big Brother? Again, thanks for your post!