clip art of a ballot box labelled "VOTE"

America’s political system has two major parties in it, the democrat and republican party with smaller third parties existing but not actually accomplishing anything in elections. In fact only 1 presidential candidate has gotten 2nd place in an election and that was Teddy Roosevelt running under his own party.  More importantly only 2 independent candidates have won a seat in congress since WW2.  The reason for this 2 party control is the fact that our voting system is a winner take all system not allowing any other parties to get any sort of traction the electoral college also denies 3rd party candidates any votes because they have not been set up to win any.  Really the reason a 3rd party can not get anywhere in america is a monopolization over the political system by the 2 major parties because they would like to continue the control they have been holding over our country.      

CC BY-SA 4.0 Americas 2 Party System. by Truman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.