I feel excited and overwhelmed about posting my first audio recording on Youth Voices. This is my reading focusing on tone and inflection in a passage from Dr. Victor Rios’ autobiography called Street Life. My understanding of tone in a literary text is Is about the attitude about what you give when reading something. Inflection means how a person uses their voice to emphasize words and phrases. For example when saying something that is supposed to be said like an angry person the tone will give that attitude of being mad and the inflection would be how the person’s voice is loud.

I am attaching an image of my marked-up text. The marking is where I’m using tone and inflection. I highlighted where I emphasize. I made dashes on where I am intentionally pause. The underline is where I am slowing down my speed of how I’m reading it. The squiggle lines are where I speed up on how I said it.

I hope that you see how my voice changes according to the text mark-up. I would appreciate the feedback.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Street Life by Elias is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Bobby 2 months ago

Elias,
    I like what you have, but your execution needs only slightly more work to be amazing. I would say in the beginning your speech needs to be more consistent and flowing, not too many pauses. Once you start talking about how much the mom means to you (in context of the text) then you can start taking those long pauses, it’s more powerful and appropriate then. I will say some words could be better enunciated, but overrall, it was pretty good. This video will teach you how to speak more clearly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoYzpffO88
    Bobby