Standing in an operating room in the hospital that I will be running, doing the hardest surgery ever. Taking my time but at the same time trying to do it fast.  The surgery was so hard and intense I feel like it was my first surgery. The rush that I got if I mess up this person dies just like the first time. This surgery was taking so long as the first complicated surgery I had to do but also not as complex as this one I´m in right now. The pressure of the patient’s family outside waiting for an update when the patient keeps flattening out, and we got to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Finally, the patient stops flattening out they are becoming stable and finally we can give their family an update. Every deep breath I took, I felt every single nerve in my body starting to shut down like if I was turning off a light bulb. My limbs were shaking uncontrollably like if they were sore after a workout and trying to walk.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Life in 20 years by Elias is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Melissa 9 months ago

elias,
    you sound like an extreme adrenalin junkie! I applaud your desire for hard, intense, and risky work. I find the reasons you want to be a surgeon interesting and to some degree understandable. I think being a doctor is very stressful and it is those that seek it out that perform the best. It sounds like you have a good understanding of your self and what you think you want to do. you have a lot of work ahead of you in the next twenty years but with any luck you’ll learn to love it and get exactly where you want to go. you should post some articles that research surgeries, highlight the best in the field, and discus controversial operations. Best of luck!

2. Dynasty 9 months ago

I enjoyed your post, “My Life in 20 years,” because the job you have makes a lot of money. Your future would be a success.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ The pressure of the patient’s family outside waiting for an update when the patient keeps flattening out, and we got to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).” I think this is scary because you have to make sure that patient comes back alive. If you fail the surgery you have to deal with emotions and seeing the family hurt because of their loss.
    Another sentence that I enjoyed reading was: “ Every deep breath I took, I felt every single nerve in my body starting to shut down like if I was turning off a light bulb.” This stood out for me because as I was reading it, I was feeling the way how you felt.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had to go with nana to the hospital. My auntie was getting surgery on her arm. I was scared because I wanted her to come back perfectly fine. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your post is interesting and good to read.