I am from a land of harvesting hands,

from a land where the greens of the lushes grass are abundant on the mountain side

I am from a place where respect is demanded

And where honor is cherished

I am from a place overflowing with history

Whose ancient ancestors are viewed like mighty giants of the world

I am from a land of kings and queens

And from a land of absolute focus and determination

I am from a land where one lives by the spirit

And dies by the flesh

I am from a land who protects

Whose mighty ancestors stifled the attempt of conquest

I am from a land who lives by the guidance of the almighty

From a land that lives in fear of his wrath

I am from a land of generous people who are quick to accept with open hands

I am from a land where life is truly lived

I am from the Lion’s pride

from Africa’s horn

I am from Ethiopia.

Photo by Synergos Institute

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Meless is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fallou 2 months ago

I really liked where he from because of the disert

2. Erika 2 months ago

Dear Meless:

I am in love with your poem, “Where I’m from,” because you talked about where you are from and what your country and culture is about. I love the way you repeated yourself it made me want to continue reading.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I am from a land where life is truly lived” I think this is beautiful because you love where you are from and your letting others know about where you are from.

Another sentence that I liked was: “I am from a place where respect is demanded and where honor is cherished.” This stood out for me because you’re explaining to people like me that never been what it’s like in Ethiopia.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I loved the way you wrote your poem it was very interesting, I did not want to stop reading. Please write more I would like to continue to read more of your post.

3. Ellie 2 months ago

Melees,
    I absolutely loved reading your poem. Everything about this was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this, it is so important for our wold to be diverse and to be able to respect and cherish everybody’s cultures and backgrounds. Thank you, this was so beautiful.

4. Esthefany 3 months ago

Hey Meless, I really enjoyed your poem. I felt as like I was right there. You did a good job making it so the readers can really visualize what was going on. For example when you described the grass i felt as though I can see it

5. Rosario 3 months ago

Meless, I am shocked by your poem because you described Ethiopia as such as strong and powerful place! One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “I am from a place where respect is demanded, And where honor is cherished.” I think this is powerful because you use two powerful words and connected them to other words that are poignant and strong. Thanks for your writing, I had never thought about Ethiopia this way and your poem gives people a sense to how this place is like. I look forward to seeing what you write next!

6. Alexandria 3 months ago

This was a really enjoyable read. You painted a well rounded picture of your place of origin, mentioning “attempt of conquest” while simultaneously expressing pride in that place with the line “kings and queens”. It created a realistic backdrop where arduous things have happened, and happy things can still be expected. If you’re looking for more poem fuel, I suggest looking at writing prompts online or checking out peer review sites were people share personal writings.

7. Chloe 3 months ago

Hi Meless!
    I really enjoyed reading your poem. I liked the repetition when you said I am from… it helps to convey a stronger message. It also helps with comparison, like when you said, “Whose mighty ancestors stifled the attempt of conquest” but then said, “I am from a land of kings and queens” since these seem like two contrasting ideas. Since you used repetition you were able to make a comparison of two contrasting topics. The image you were able to create from this tool was clear. I hope to hear more of your poetry in the future!
    Chloe